Albrook Air Force Station
Albrook Air Force Station is a former United States Air Force facility in Panama. It was closed on 30 September 1997 as a result of the Torrijos-Carter Treaties which specified that United States military facilities in the former Panama Canal Zone be closed and the facilities be turned over to the Panamanian government. It was located on the east side of the Panama Canal just south of Fort Clayton and north of the township of Balboa, Panama. Beginning in January 1999, the air field initiated civilian air service as Albrook "Marcos A. Gelabert" International Airport.
|Albrook Air Force Station|
|Part of Air Combat Command|
|Located near Balboa, Panama|
|Type||Military Air Force Station|
|Controlled by||United States Air Force|
Major commands to which assigned
- Panama Canal Department, 1932- 19 October 1940
- Panama Canal Air Force, 19 October 1940 - 5 August 1941
- Caribbean Air Force, 5 August 1941 - 18 September 1942
- Sixth Air Force, 18 September 1942 - 31 July 1946
- Caribbean Air Command, 31 July 1946 - 8 July 1963
- United States Air Forces Southern Command, 8 July 1963 - 1 January 1976
- Tactical Air Command
- USAF Southern Air Division, 1 January 1976 - 1 January 1989
- 830th Air Division, 1 January 1989 - 15 February 1991
- Air Forces Panama, 15 February 1991 - 11 February 1992
Major units assigned
Post USAF use
After the base was turned over to Panama and the domestic/commercial Albrook "Marcos A. Gelabert" International Airport was relocated to Albrook from Punta Paitilla (across Panama City) in January 1999 after refurbishing the former Air Force Base and constructing an operations/control tower and a passenger terminal (near Building 446, the hangar that previously housed the former Air Force Post Office). Airport is under Panama's Civil Aeronautics Authority (Autoridad de Aeronáutica Civil —previously named Civil Aviation Directorate).
A number of shops, markets, mall and government agencies (Panamanian Red Cross, International Maritime University of Panama) operate out of some of the old buildings and hangars, and most of the officers quarters are now private homes.
The Civil Aviation Authority has its headquarters in Building 805.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Albrook Air Force Station.|
- Conaway, William. "VI Bombardment Command History". Planes and Pilots Of World War Two.
- Conaway, William. "40th Bombardment Group (Heavy)". VI Bomber Command In Defense Of The Panama Canal 1941 - 45.
- Conaway, William. "6th Bombardment Group (Heavy)". VI Bomber Command In Defense Of The Panama Canal 1941 - 45.
- Conaway, William. "3rd Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)". VI Bomber Command In Defense Of The Panama Canal 1941 - 45.
- Conaway, William. "74th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)". VI Bomber Command In Defense Of The Panama Canal 1941 - 45.
- "Contáctenos." Civil Aviation Authority. Retrieved on April 18, 2012. "Oficinas Administrativas: Albrook Edificio 805 - Panamá"
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.