Albert H. Bowker
Albert Hosmer Bowker (September 8, 1919 – January 20, 2008) was an American statistician and university administrator. Born in Massachusetts, he worked at Stanford University in the late 1940s to early 1950s. In 1953, he was elected as a Fellow of the American Statistical Association. He then served as Chancellor of the City University of New York from 1963 to 1971. During this period, in 1964, he married his second wife, Rosedith Sitgreaves, herself a notable statistician who had gone through the graduate program in statistics at Columbia University with Bowker and was at the time a professor at Columbia. He served as Chancellor of the University of California, Berkeley from 1971 to 1980 until serving as U.S. Assistant Secretary for Post-Secondary Education in the Carter administration. After 1 year, he went to the University of Maryland to serve as Dean of the School of Public Affairs. He died of pancreatic cancer in 2008.
Albert Hosmer Bowker
|5th Chancellor of the|
University of California, Berkeley
|Preceded by||Roger W. Heyns|
|Succeeded by||Ira Michael Heyman|
|2nd Chancellor of the City University of New York|
|Preceded by||John Rutherford Everett|
|Succeeded by||Robert Joseph Kibbee|
|Born||September 8, 1919|
|Died||January 20, 2008 88) (aged|
Portola Valley, California
Early life and education
Bowker was born on September 8, 1919, in Winchendon, Massachusetts. He attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology where he received a B.S. in mathematics and later went to Columbia University where he received a Ph.D. in statistics.
- View/Search Fellows of the ASA, accessed 2016-07-23.
- "Miss Sitgreaves And Dr. Bowker Marry in Easton", New York Times, September 27, 1964.
- Zheng, Tian; Ying, Zhiliang (2013), "Columbia University Statistics", Strength in numbers: the rising of academic statistics departments in the U.S, Springer, New York, pp. 27–38, MR 3077323. See in particular p. 35.
- Doyle, Jim (2008-01-25). "Albert H. Bowker - UC Berkeley chancellor". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- "Days of Cal | Albert H. Bowker". Bancroft.berkeley.edu. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
John Rutherford Everett
| Chancellor of the City University of New York
1963 – 1971
Robert Joseph Kibbee
Roger W. Heyns
| Chancellor of the University of California, Berkeley
1971 – 1980
Ira Michael Heyman