The Alawi Sheikhdom (Arabic: مشيخة العلوي Mashyakhat al-‘Alawī), or Alawi (Arabic: علوي ‘Alawī) — was a Sheikhdom located in the Aden region of southwestern Yemen. Its capital was Al Qasha. The state was abolished in 1967 with the independence of the People's Republic of South Yemen.
|State of the Federation of South Arabia|
Map of the Federation of South Arabia
|Historical era||20th century|
In 1872 it became part of the larger British Aden Protectorate.
In the 1960s it was in the Federation of Arab Emirates of the South, and its successor, the Federation of South Arabia. The last sheikh, Salih ibn Sayil Al Alawi, was deposed and his state was abolished on 28 Aug 1967 upon the founding of the communist-led People's Republic of South Yemen (1967-1990). Since 1990 the area is part of the Republic of Yemen.
- 1800 - 1839 Sha'if al-`Alawi
- 1839 - 18.. Hilal ibn Sha´if al-`Alawi
- 18.. - Mar 1875 Sha´if ibn Sha´if al-`Alawi
- 1875 - 1892 Sa`id ibn Salih al-`Alawi
- 1892 - Apr 1898 Sha´if ibn Sa`id al-`Alawi
- 1898 al-Husayn ibn Salih al-`Alawi
- 1898 - Jul 1920 `Ali ibn Nasir al-`Alawi
- 1920 - 1925 `Abd al-Nabi ibn `Ali al-`Alawi
- 1925 - 1940 Muhsin ibn `Ali al-`Alawi
- 1940 - 28 Aug 1967 Salih ibn Sayil al-`Alawi
- Paul Dresch. A History of Modern Yemen. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2000
- States of the Aden Protectorates