|Occupation(s)||Musician, film maker|
|Associated acts||Orb, Space Waltz|
Riddell is a musician and a film maker. He had a singing style that was likened to a combination of Bryan Ferry and David Bowie. Prior to 1974, he was in a band called Orb with Eddie Rayner. Then later, the two of them were in Space Waltz.
In the 1980s, having played music in both the United States and the United Kingdom, he met English model Vanessa whom he married. With her, he returned to New Zealand and raising his family of 4 children in the West Auckland suburb of Titirangi.
The group appeared on Studio One New Faces and created a bit of a stir with their image. They lost out in the finals but went down well with rock fans. They were noticed by EMI and promptly signed up. Their single "Out On The Street" went to no 1 in New Zealand.
The album Space Waltz, which was released by EMI in 1974 featured Riddell, Eddie Rayner, Greg Clark, Peter Cuddihy, Brent Eccles, and The Yandall Sisters.
Post Space Waltz
In 1977, the single "Wonder Ones" bw "Oh Ron" was released on the Mandrill label. The following year, his self titled album Alastair Riddell was also released on the Mandrill label. Around mid 1979, two members of his band, The Alastair Riddell band, guitarist John Treseder, and bassist Gavin Beardsmore joined up with Gary Havoc & The Hurricanes.
In 2012, Riddell's film The Last Stop, which featured his wife Vanessa was submitted to the Your Film Festival, which an online festival. The festival is promoted by English director Ridley Scott. Their project involved cinematographer Dean Carruthers. also that year he released a single "Last Of The Golden Weather".
|"Wonder Ones" / "Oh Ron"||Mandrill M 10005||1977|
|"Smile" / "Eyes Of Love"||Mandrill DRILL 9||1978|
|"Zero" / "She's In Love"||WEA Z10047||1981|
|"Do You Read Me" / "Passion & Love"||WEA 2599317||1982||Engineer: Graeme Myhre|
|"Let Her Know" / "Futura"||WEA Z10070||1982|
|Alastair Riddell||Mandrill MAN 3||1978|
|Positive Action||WEA Z20027||1982|
|Space Waltz||RPM Records RPM 306||2005|
|Desert||sound mixer: festival version||2010|
|The Last Stop||director, editor, sound editor||2012|
|Broken Hallelujah||director, producer, cinematographer, actor||2014|
|West of Eden||director, editor, composer||2015|
- Elsewhere, Oct 21, 2014 THE FAMOUS ELSEWHERE FILM QUESTIONNAIRE: Alastair and Vanessa Riddell - Graham Reid
- Salient, Vol. 38, No. 4, 1975 Spacewaltz featuring Alastair Riddell (EMI)
- The New Zealand Herald, Thursday Apr 7, 2016 Kiwi musicians' live tribute to David Bowie
- Amplifier Alastair Riddell
- sergent.com.au Split Enz
- NZ on Screen Out on the Street
- Yeah Yeah Yeah: The Story of Modern Pop By Bob Stanley 30 It Came from the Suburbs: Marc Bolan and David Bowie
- New Zealand Music Commission, Te Reo Reka O Aotearoa Alastair Riddell Releases New Single
- National Library of Australia 2002, 1974, English, Sound, Recorded music edition, Space waltz (sound recording) / by Alastair Riddell.
- Discogs Alastair Riddell Discography
- Rip It Up June 1979 Page 6 Rumours, Auckland
- Discogs Patea Maori Club – Poi E
- Western Leader, 27/04/2012 Singer sits in the director's chair - Nicola Murphey
- Discogs Alastair Riddell Discography, Singles & EPs
- Discogs Alastair Riddell Discography, Albums