Alan Curtiss Tucker is an American mathematician. He is a professor of applied mathematics at Stony Brook University, and the author of a widely used textbook on combinatorics; he has also made research contributions to graph theory and coding theory. He has had four children, Katie, Lisa, Edward, and James.
Education and career
Tucker is the son of mathematician Albert W. Tucker. He earned a bachelor's degree from Harvard University in 1965 and then went on to graduate studies at Stanford University, earning a master's degree in 1967 and a doctorate in 1969. His doctoral thesis, supervised by George Dantzig, concerned circular-arc graphs. He then joined the Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics at Stony Brook University in 1970, and has remained there for the rest of his career. Since 1989, he has been a S.U.N.Y. Distinguished Teaching Professor at Stony Brook. Since 2011, he has been editor in chief of the journal Applied Mathematics Letters.
Awards and honors
In 2009, Tucker was named a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He became one of the inaugural fellows of the American Mathematical Society in 2013.
- Hu, T. C.; Tucker, A. C. (1971), "Optimal computer search trees and variable-length alphabetical codes", SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, 21: 514–532, doi:10.1137/0121057, MR 0304063.
- Tucker, Alan (1975), "Coloring a family of circular arcs", SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, 29 (3): 493–502, doi:10.1137/0129040, MR 0437378.
- Tucker, Alan (1980), Applied Combinatorics, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, ISBN 0-471-04766-X, MR 0591461. 3rd ed., 1995, MR1287611. 6th ed., 2012, ISBN 978-0-470-45838-9.
- Review of Applied Combinatorics together with three other combinatorics texts by Albert Nijenhuis (1988), American Mathematical Monthly 95 (4): 363–365, JSTOR 2323584.
- Review of Applied Combinatorics (2nd ed.), Andy Liu (1988), SIAM Review 30 (2): 337–339, doi:10.1137/1030075.
- AWTucker vignettes, linked from Alan C. Tucker's home page as "stories that my father A W Tucker told me", retrieved 2014-10-07.
- Curriculum vitae, retrieved 2014-10-07.
- Alan Curtiss Tucker at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Three Faculty Named 2009 AAAS Fellows Archived 2014-10-12 at the Wayback Machine, Stony Brook University, January 26, 2010. Retrieved 2014-10-07.
- List of inaugural fellows, American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2014-10-07.