Al-Jiza (Arabic: الجيزة, also spelled el-Jeza, Turkish: El Cize) is a town in southern Syria, administratively part of the Daraa Governorate, located east of Daraa. Nearby localities include al-Mataaiya to the south, Ghasm to the southeast, al-Sahwah to the northeast, al-Musayfirah to the north, Kahil to the northwest and al-Taybeh to the west.
|Coordinates: 32°34′12″N 36°18′59″E|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
In the Ottoman tax registers of 1596, it was a village located the nahiya of Butayna, part of Qada Hawran, under the name of Jiza. It had a population of 19 households and 7 bachelors, all Muslims. They paid a fixed tax-rate of 40% on agricultural products, including wheat, barley, summer crops, goats and beehives, in addition to occasional revenues; a total of 7,215 akçe. All of the revenue went to a waqf.
In 1838, el-Jizeh was noted as a ruin, situated "In the Nukrah, west of Busrah".
According to the Syria Central Bureau of Statistics, al-Jiza had a population of 14,700 in the 2004 census. It is the administrative center of the al-Jiza nahiyah ("subdistrict") which consisted of three localities with a collective population of 21,100 in 2004.
- Hamza Ali Al-Khateeb (1997-2011)
- General Census of Population and Housing 2004 Archived 2013-01-12 at Archive.today. Syria Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS). Daraa Governorate. (in Arabic)
- Günümüzde Suriye Türkmenleri. — Suriye’de Değişimin Ortaya Çıkardığı Toplum: Suriye Türkmenleri, p. 21 ORSAM Rapor № 83. ORSAM – Ortadoğu Türkmenleri Programı Rapor № 14. Ankara — November 2011, 33 pages.
- Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 214
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, 2nd appendix, p. 153
- Deutscher Verein zur Erforschung Palästinas; Robinson, Edward (1896). Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 19-20. O. Harrassowitz.
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. ISBN 3-920405-41-2.
- Robinson, E.; Smith, E. (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 3. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.