Air and Space Campaign Medal
The Air and Space Campaign Medal (ASCM) is an award of the United States Air Force which was first created on April 24, 2002 by order of Secretary of the Air Force James G. Roche. The ASCM may be awarded to members of the USAF who, after March 24, 1999, supported a significant U.S. military operation designated by the Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force as qualifying for the ASCM.
|Air and Space Campaign Medal|
Air and Space Campaign Medal
|Awarded by the Department of the Air Force|
|Eligibility||United States Air Force personnel|
|Awarded for||Participating in or directly supporting a significant U.S. military operation designated by the Air Force chief of staff.|
|Established||24 April 2002|
|Next (higher)||Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal|
|Next (lower)||Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal|
Air and Space Campaign Medal ribbon
To be eligible for the Air and Space Campaign Medal a service member must perform direct support of a military operation for at least thirty consecutive days or for sixty non-consecutive days. "Direct support" is defined as deploying in support of an ASCM approved operation inside the geographic area of combat which historically were deployed forward. This includes, but is not limited to, sortie generation, intelligence, surveillance, targeting, etc. Squadron Commanders may determine other functions that meet the intent of this award.
Members who provided direct support for 30 consecutive or 60 nonconsecutive days to one of these operations inside of the geographic area of combat qualify for the ASCM.
The Air and Space Campaign Medal is only authorized for Air Force personnel and is prohibited for issuance if another campaign or service medal has already been received for the operation in question. Additional awards are denoted by service stars.
- Operation Allied Force 24 March 1999 – 10 June 1999
- Operation Joint Guardian 11 June 1999 – Date to be Determined (DTBD)
- Operation Allied Harbour 4 April 1999 – 1 September 1999
- Operation Sustain Hope/Shining Hope 4 April 1999 – 10 July 1999
- Operation Noble Anvil 24 March 1999 – 20 July 1999
- Kosovo Task Force Hawk 5 April 1999 – 24 June 1999
- Kosovo Task Force Saber 31 March 1999 – 8 July 1999
- Kosovo Task Force Falcon 11 June 1999 – DTBD
- Kosovo Task Force Hunter 1 April 1999 – 1 November 1999
- Operation Odyssey Dawn 26 February 2011 – 31 October 2011
- Operation Unified Protector 26 February 2011 – 31 October 2011
- "Production publication" (PDF). static.e-publishing.af.mil. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2018-01-27. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "Awards and Decorations". Air Force Personnel Center Library. Air Force Personnel Center. Archived from the original on 23 January 2013. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "MEMORANDUM FOR AF/A1 SUBJECT: Establishment of a Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal" (PDF). United States Air Force. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 June 2014. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "Air and Space Campaign Medal". Air Force Personnel Center > Library > Factsheets. US Air Force Personnel Center. 3 August 2010. Archived from the original on 17 February 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- US Air Force Personnel Center (11 December 2012). "Air and Space Campaign Medal for Operation Odyssey Dawn and Operation Unified Protector". Goodfellow Air Force Base website. Archived from the original on 1 March 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2013.