African Footballer of the Year
The African Footballer of the Year award, presented to the best African footballer each year, has been conferred by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) since 1992. An earlier African Footballer of the Year Golden Ball award was given out between 1970 and 1994 by France Football magazine. The changes resulted in parallel Golden Ball awards given out to Abedi Pele and George Weah in 1993 and 1994 by the magazine although the CAF sponsored awards for those years were won respectively by Rashidi Yekini and Emmanuel Amuneke, as well as two awards given to Abedi Pele in 1992. France Football discontinued the election from 1995 after the European Ballon d'Or – also awarded by the magazine – had been opened to all players in the European leagues.
Samuel Eto'o and Yaya Touré are the most players who won it (4 times), Frédéric Kanouté who named the 2007 African Footballer of the Year was born in France is the first European-born player to win the award (he plays for his father's native country of Mali).
France Football award (1970–1994)
The award by France Football magazine was awarded to the best African footballer between 1970 and 1994. The award was discontinued in 1995 after the European Footballer of the Year (Ballon d'Or) was opened to players of non-European nationality, the award being given to George Weah that year. It had already been replaced by an official award given out by the Confederation of African Football since 1992.
CAF award (1992–present)
* Players in bold are still active
|El Hadji Diouf||2||0||0|
Awards won by nationality
Awards won by club
- "African Player of the Year 1993". Rsssf.com. 5 January 2001. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "African Player of the Year 1994". Rsssf.com. 5 January 2001. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "African Player of the Year". rsssf.com. 1 January 2000. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "African Player of the Year". rsssf.com. 1 January 2000. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Kanoute named Africa's best
- Furious Drogba Slams CAF Over Kanoute Award And Pulls Out