General Sir Adrian John Bradshaw, (born 1958) is a former British Army officer who served as Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe. He also served as Director Special Forces from 2006 to 2009 and Commander Land Forces in 2013.
Sir Adrian Bradshaw
General Sir Adrian Bradshaw in 2012
|Born||1958 (age 60–61)|
|Years of service||1980–2017|
|Commands held||Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe|
Commander Land Forces
1st Armoured Division
7th Armoured Brigade
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath|
Officer of the Order of the British Empire
Officer of the Legion of Merit (United States)
Bradshaw was commissioned into the 14th/20th King's Hussars in 1980. In 1994 he became Commanding Officer of the King's Royal Hussars commanding the KRH Battlegroup in Bosnia. On promotion to Brigadier he became Senior Advisor to the Combined Forces Air Component Command preparing for the invasion of Iraq. He was Deputy Commander of Task Force West during the Anglo-American invasion of Iraq in March 2003 and took charge of 7th Armoured Brigade during initial stabilisation operations in April 2003. By 2006 he was Director Special Forces.
In March 2009 Bradshaw was appointed General Officer Commanding 1st Armoured Division which undertook a major training exercise in the Czech Republic in May 2009. He became Deputy Commander International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan and United Kingdom National Contingent Commander in Afghanistan in the rank of lieutenant general in November 2011. He is Vice-Chairman of the Combined Services Polo Association.
Bradshaw assumed the role of Commander Land Forces in succession to General Sir Nick Parker in January 2013. He was succeeded by Lieutenant General Nick Carter as Commander Land Forces in November 2013.
Bradshaw was promoted to general and appointed Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe on 28 March 2014. As of 2015, Bradshaw was paid a salary of between £170,000 and £174,999 by the department, making him one of the 328 most highly paid people in the British public sector at that time. He retired on 12 August 2017.
Bradshaw was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1998 and appointed an Officer of the Legion of Merit by the President of the United States in 2003. He was also appointed a Companion of the Order of the Bath in the 2009 New Year Honours and advanced to Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath in the 2013 Birthday Honours.
On 7 June 2018, during the annual Founder's Day Parade at the Royal Hospital Chelsea, it was announced that Bradshaw would become the new Governor of the Hospital in September 2018, succeeding General Sir Redmond Watt.
- "ISAF". Archived from the original on 29 December 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- "No. 48386". The London Gazette (Supplement). 2 December 1980. p. 16705.
- On point: the United States Army in Operation Iraqi Freedom By Gregory Fontenot, Page 43 Government Printing Office, 2007, ISBN 978-0-16-078196-4
- "Mayor of Llantwit Major: New Special Forces Support Group: Inaugural Parade". Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- British troops stage their biggest ever training exercise abroad in the Czech Republic Archived 17 May 2009 at the Wayback Machine Sky News, 14 May 2009
- Service Appointments The Times, 8 June 2011
- "Combined Services Polo Association". Archived from the original on 2 May 2017. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- Ashby, Robin. "Up and out : Promotions, leavers, new jobs May 2012 – Defence Viewpoints from UK Defence Forum". defenceviewpoints.co.uk. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- "Ups and outs July 2013". Defence Viewpoints. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "No. 60824". The London Gazette (Supplement). 1 April 2014. p. 6580.
- "General Sir Adrian Bradshaw becomes the 28th DSACEUR". Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Senior officials 'high earners' salaries as at 30 September 2015 – Government of the United Kingdom". Government of the United Kingdom. 17 December 2015. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "No. 62024". The London Gazette (Supplement). 2 December 1980. p. 15407.
- "No. 55120". The London Gazette (Supplement). 8 May 1998. p. 5194.
- "No. 57100". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 October 2003. p. 12.
- "No. 58929". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2008. p. 2.
- "No. 60534". The London Gazette (Supplement). 15 June 2013. p. 2.
- "Sir Adrian Bradshaw, KCB OBE announced as the new Governor of the Royal Hospital". Retrieved 9 June 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adrian Bradshaw.|
| Director Special Forces
| General Officer Commanding the 1st (UK) Armoured Division
| Deputy Commander, ISAF
Sir Nick Parker
| Commander Land Forces|
Sir Richard Shirreff
| Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe
Sir James Everard