Administrative divisions of Croatia
On the second level these are municipalities (općina, pl. općine) and cities (grad, pl. gradovi). Both of these types of subdivisions encompass one or multiple settlements (naselje, pl. naselja) which are not public or legal entities, the Croatian Bureau of Statistics consider them as non-administrative units – human settlements, similar to the United States census designated places. As parts of the cities or the (larger) municipalities they may form city districts (gradski kotari or gradske četvrti) or local committee areas (mjesni odbori). Small municipalities usually consist of only one settlement.
Current (since 1992)
- Counties (21)
- Cities and Municipalities (556)
- City districts and Local committee areas
- Settlements (6,749) (non-legal, non-public entities)
- Unions of Municipalities (zajednica općina, pl. zajednice općina) (11), including City of Zagreb Union of Municipalities (Zagreb metropolitan area) and City of Split Union of Municipalities (Split metropolitan area)
- Municipalities (općina, pl. općine)
- Local communities (mjesna zajednica, pl. mjesne zajednice)
- Settlements (non legal or public entities)
- Circles (okrug, pl. okruzi)
- People's Committee Areas (mjesni narodni odbor, pl. mjesni narodni odbori) - village people's committee, raion people's committee, town/city people's committee
N.B. Until 1963 all subdivisions were governed by the elected people's committees. From 1963 to 1992 these were administered by the respective (elected) assemblies.
- Counties (22)
- Bribir and Sidraga
- Krbava – Psat
- Lašva and Glaž
- Lika and Gacka
- Livac and Zapolje
- Pliva and Rama
- Sana and Luka
- Usora and Soli
- Vinodol and Podgorje
- Cadastral municipalities (katastarske općine) (non legal or public entities, non local authorities)
Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia (1868–1922)
- "Popis gradova i općina". uprava.hr (in Croatian). Ministry of Public Administration, Croatia. 10 June 2013. Archived from the original (Microsoft Excel) on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- Vrbošić, Josip. POVIJESNI PREGLED RAZVITKA ŽUPANIJSKE UPRAVE I SAMOUPRAVE U HRVATSKOJ, University of Osijek.