Adin D. Falkoff (19 December 1921 – 13 August 2010) was an engineer and computer systems and programming systems designer who was mostly known for his work on the programming language APL and systems for IBM.
Adin D. Falkoff
|Died||August 13, 2010 88) (aged|
|Known for||Engineering and design of programming language APL with Kenneth E. Iverson|
|Spouse(s)||Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff|
|Influences||Kenneth E. Iverson|
He was a researcher and manager at IBM Research since 1955 for over forty years before retiring. He collaborated with Ken Iverson from 1960 to 1980 on the design, development, and use of the APL programming language and interactive environment.
Of special note is his landmark article, A Formal Description of System/360, describing the then new IBM System/360 computer system, formally, in APL programming notation.
Falkoff was a visiting member of the faculty of IBM's Systems Research Institute, and taught computer science at Yale University. He was one of the researchers who established and managed the IBM Philadelphia Scientific Center and received many awards for his work, especially with APL.
- Adin D. Falkoff, "Algorithms for Parallel-Search Memories". Journal of the ACM 9:4:488-511 (1962)
- Adin D. Falkoff, Kenneth E. Iverson, Edward H. Sussenguth Jr., "A Formal Description of System/360". IBM Systems Journal 3:3:198-262 (1964)
- Falkoff, A.D., and K.E. Iverson, APL\360 User’s Manual, IBM Corporation, 1968-08. full text in PDF
- Falkoff, A.D., and K.E. Iverson, "The Design of APL", IBM Journal of Research and Development 17:4, 1973-07. full text in PDF
- Falkoff, A.D., and K.E. Iverson, "The Evolution of APL", ACM SIGPLAN Notices 13:8, 1978-08. full text in PDF
- Falkoff. A.D., and K.E. Iverson, A Source Book In APL, APL Press, 1981
- Falkoff, A.D., "The IBM Family of APL Systems", IBM Systems Journal 30:4, 1991-12. full text in PDF
- Computer History Museum page
- US Social Security Death Record published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Cf. bio Archived 2012-02-18 at the Wayback Machine in letter of recommendation for his wife, Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff, to the Internet Governance Caucus IGF Multi-Stakeholder Advisory Group