Adele H. Stamp Student Union
The Adele H. Stamp Student Union, commonly referred to as "Stamp", is the student activity center on the campus of the University of Maryland, College Park. First constructed in 1954 (with additions in 1962 and 1971), the building was renamed in 1983 for Adele Hagner Stamp, who served as the university's dean of women from 1920 to 1960. Stamp houses nearly all of the university's student organizations, and is considered the "center of campus life," receiving more than 19,000 visitors daily.
|Adele H. Stamp Student Union|
Front entrance of the Adele H. Stamp Student Union
"Center for Campus Life."
|Type||Student activities center|
|Location||Central campus on Campus Drive|
University of Maryland, College Park campus
|Named for||Adele H. Stamp|
A movie theater, named the Hoff Theater, is located in Stamp. First opening in 1975 and renovated in 2002, the Hoff includes a seating capacity of 550, Dolby Digital surround sound, and a concession stand. The TerpZone, located in the Basement Level of Stamp, is an entertainment center that includes a bowling alley, billiard tables, an arcade, and projection screen televisions for viewing sporting events. The Art and Learning Center is located in the basement level by TerpZone and hosts student classes and activities such as dancing, ceramics and other arts and crafts. An art gallery, The Stamp Gallery, prominently presents exhibitions on the first floor of Stamp and controls work throughout the Stamp. Immediately next to Stamp is the Nyumburu Amphitheater, which often features outdoor performances of various sorts.
Dining options in Stamp include a food court that houses a McDonald's, Chick-Fil-A, Panda Express, Saladworks, Qdoba Sbarro, Sushi by Panda, and a Moby Dick: House of Kabob, . Additionally, a Subway is located in the TerpZone, and the Maryland Food Collective, a not-for-profit, worker-owned business located in the Stamp basement, offers organic, fair-trade food options. The Coffee Bar, located on the first floor of Stamp, brews Starbucks coffee, in addition to selling various soups and sandwiches. There is also a convenience store, The Union Shop.
The Stamp also offers computer, web, and audio visual support. The technology services department provides support for the many departments at the Stamp. They also provide web hosting and web access to different student organizations. The technology services also provide audio visual support to student events in Stamp. These services include podcasting, media presentations, panel discussions, video editing and spam filters, conferencing, concerts, and more.
The ground floor of Stamp has both a branch of Capital One Bank and a State Employees Credit Union (SECU) ATM. Design and Copy Services provides copy and production services, and legal aid offices for both undergraduate and graduate students are present. The Student Organization Resource Center is located in the Student Involvement Suite on the first floor and is the center of student club life and resources.
- UM Campus Buildings Index, Stamp Student Union. Archived 2012-05-16 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- 01, Conference Room. "Adele Hagner Stamp, Maryland Women's Hall of Fame". msa.maryland.gov. Retrieved 2018-04-17.
- Stamp Student Union Website, THE STAMP:Center for Campus Life. Archived June 4, 2010, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- UMD University Visitors Network, Stamp Student Union. Archived June 16, 2010, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-6-18.
- Stamp Student Union Website, Shops and Services:Shops. Archived May 31, 2010, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-6-18.
- Stamp Student Union Website, Entertainment, The Hoff Theater:Information. Archived June 4, 2010, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- Stamp Student Union Website, Entertainment, The TerpZone:TerpZone Features. Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- Stamp Student Union website, Entertainment, The Stamp Galley. Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- UM Undergraduate Admission website, Student Life:Residence Life. Archived June 10, 2010, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-6-16.
- Stamp Student Union website, Dining Options:Foodcourt. Archived May 31, 2010, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- Stamp Student Union website, Dining Options:Subway. Archived 2010-06-05 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- Maryland Food Collective website Archived March 8, 2012, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-6-11.
- Stamp Student Union Website, Shops and Services:Services for Students/Visitors. Archived May 31, 2010, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-6-11.