Aaj News is a 24-hour Pakistani news television channel. The word Aaj in English means "Today". It is a privately owned Urdu language TV station which covers national and international news.
|Launched||23 March 2005; 15 years ago|
|Owned by||Business Recorder Group|
|Picture format||4:3 (576i, SDTV)|
|Slogan||Pakistan Ki Awaz(Voice of Pakistan) 2005-2017 |
Khabar Aaj Ki Bharosa Aap Ka(The news is yours Today) 2017-present
|Headquarters||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Sister channel(s)||Play Entertainment, Aaj Entertainment, A1 TV|
|Dish Network (United States)||684|
|PTCL Smart TV (Pakistan)||004|
|Aaj News Live|
Channel and its programmes
Aaj News was initially started on 23 March 2005 by the Recorder Television Network (Business Recorder Group). The Business Recorder Group specializes in niche businesses, which include the flagship Business Recorder newspaper, Apex Printry, a printing facility that is the only other organization apart from the Government of Pakistan that has the capability and authority to print secure financial and legal papers in Pakistan, e-dynamics, Pakistan's largest hi-tech information solutions provider, and the Recorder Television Network consisting of Aaj News, Aaj Entertainment and Play Entertainment.
On 22 April 2007 the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (Pemra) had served a show-cause notice on Aaj News, for airing news, talk shows and other programmes on the current judicial crisis and threatened it with closure.
The notice said that the TV channel had violated the Pemra Ordinance in its news, talk shows and programmes on an issue pending with the Supreme Judicial Council. The notice said that the channel had also failed to produce a no-objection certificate (NOC) from the external publicity wing of the Ministry of Information, Broadcasting and National Heritage (Pakistan) which was required for the processing of short-term uplinking licence.
On 23 March 2009, Aaj News was converted into a 24-hour news channel.
Change of format
Recently Aaj TV changed its format from being a hybrid channel into becoming solely a news channel, even though it retained a couple of its entertainment shows like 4 Man Show.
- Late Night Show With Begum Nawazish Ali
- The 4 Man Show (Is not anymore)
- Live With Khalid Butt
- Andar ki baat Raja ka Sath
- News, Views & Confused (a satirical comedy - host:Fasi Zaka)
- The Benchroad Show
- weham ( Farhan Gauhar)
- Budget Documentaries (Zafar Zaidi)
- Black Box Documentary
Current affairs programmes
- Islamabad Tonight
- Good Morning Aaj
- Faisla Aap Ka
- Pakistan At 7| Spotlight
- G for Gharida
- Rana Mubashir
- Aman barabari kay sath
- Sawal Hai Pakistan Ka
- Paisa Bolta Hai
Tax Aur Aap Pakistan Economy Watch
- Taliban attack Pakistan's Aaj TV station in Karachi BBC News website, Published 26 June 2012, Retrieved 3 June 2018
- Pakistan media condemn attack on teenage activist BBC News website, Published 10 October 2012, Retrieved 3 June 2018
- Pakistani media demand action over airport attack BBC News website, Published 10 June 2014, Retrieved 3 June 2018
- "Blurred vision: Where is Pakistani television headed? - The Express Tribune". 5 May 2013.
- AAJ TV on Pakistan DMOZ website Retrieved 3 June 2018
- Ali Gul Pir Joins 4 Man Show Team on AAJ TV AwamiWeb website, Published 5 November 2012, Retrieved 3 June 2018
- How Pakistan's Satirists Poke Fun, Politically The Washington Post (newspaper), Published 28 November 2007, Retrieved 3 June 2018