A Wizard's Tale
A Wizard's Tale (also known as Ahí Viene Cascarrabias in Mexico and Here Comes the Grump internationally) is a 2018 Mexican-British animated film based on the DePatie–Freleng animated series, Here Comes the Grump, which originally ran from 1969 to 1970 on NBC.
|A Wizard's Tale|
|Directed by||Andrés Couturier|
|Produced by||José C. García de Letona|
Fernando De Fuentes
|Written by||Jim Hecht|
|Based on||Here Comes the Grump|
by DePatie–Freleng Enterprises
|Music by||James Seymour Brett|
|Edited by||J. Martín Téllez Andrade|
Prime Focus World
|Distributed by||M2 Pictures (Italy) |
Corazón Films (Mexico)
|Box office||MX$22.9 million|
The film was released in the United States in limited format and VOD on 14 September 2018, released as A Wizard's Tale.
A teen boy has been transported into a magical land where he teams up with a princess to stop a mean-spirited wizard called "The Grump" after placing a spell to banish happiness from the land.
The film was first announced when Variety reported on 17 September 2014 that a film adaptation of the Here Comes the Grump cartoon, produced by Ánima Estudios, is in development. Development didn't start immediately after its announcement due to development of other projects.
Production of the film was completed in 2017.
The film's animation was created at Prime Focus World at its London and Mumbai facilities. “Animation is well underway and[... o]ur artists are pushing the limits to put as much quality and humor into every last frame,” said Greg Gavanski, head of Prime Focus Animation.
Mexican animation studio Ánima Estudios was in charge of the film's creative development and supervision, with the direction done by Andrés Couturier, the manager at Ánima.
On 5 October 2017, British actors Toby Kebbell, Lily Collins, and Ian McShane have joined the film's lead English voice cast, with the casting done by Todd Resnick's The Voice Company studio in Los Angeles.
Prime Focus's Greg Gavanski commented that he was "thrilled" with the casting. “We are thrilled to welcome Ian, Lily and Toby to the Grump team,” said Gavanski. “This hugely talented voice cast, alongside the beautiful animation delivered by the artists of Ánima [Estudios] and Prime Focus, has brought these fantastic characters to life in ways we couldn’t have imagined. I couldn’t have hoped for things to come together any better than this.”
The casting has also marked a history for Ánima Estudios, to which producer and company COO José C. García de Letona has shared his excitement. “Having such amazing actors be part of our movie makes us feel even more excited about it," said Letona. "We are sure that the audiences will love McShane´s grouchy character, Lily’s adorable princess and Toby’s cool hero.”
James Seymour Brett has composed the film's original score.
The film was released in the United States in limited locations and digital platforms on 14 September 2018.
In Mexico, the film performed weakly at the box-office, opening at #6 and grossing $8.99 million pesos (est. $0.48 million USD). In its second week, the film moved down to #8, grossing $4.26 million pesos (est. US$0.2 million) which brings a total of $18.44 million pesos (est. US$0.99 million). It has earned $22.9 million pesos in total.
In the United States, the film has grossed $1,626 in 10 theaters.
Awards and nominations
|2018||15th Premios Canacine||Mejor Película de Animación
(Best Animated Film)
|Ahí viene Cascarrabias||Nominated|
|2019||20th Golden Trailer Awards||Best Foreign Animation Family Trailer||Here Comes the Grump||Nominated|
|61st Ariel Awards||Mejor largometraje animado
(Best Feature Animation)
- Grater, Tom (5 October 2017). "Lily Collins, Ian McShane, Toby Kebbell to voice 'Here Comes The Grump' (exclusive)". Screen Daily. Media Business Insight Limited. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Películas Animadas 2000 – 2018". Canacine. Canacine. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "Here Comes the Grump". Box Office Mojo. Amazon.com. Retrieved 17 April 2018. Gross calculated. Total results not shown.
- Wiseman, Andreas (6 November 2016). "AFM: First look at animation 'Here Comes The Grump'". ScreenDaily. Media Business Insight Limited. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Ahí viene Cascarrabias: una película está en producción (in Spanish)". La Zona Cero. La Zona Cero. 15 November 2016. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- da Marlen Vazzoler, Scritto (31 January 2018). "È ARRIVATO IL BRONCIO – DAL 1 MARZO AL CINEMA, TRAILER ITALIANO". ScreenWEEK.it Blog. Screenweek.it BLOG. Retrieved 31 January 2018. In Italian.
- "Cinemex on Twitter: "¡EXCLUSIVA! 1er póster de #CASCARRABIAS de @CorazonFilms, agosto de 2018 en Cinemex."". Twitter. Cinemex. Retrieved 1 January 2018. Published 1 December 2017. In Spanish.
- Kay, Jeremy (1 August 2018). "Lily Collins animation 'A Wizard's Tale' lands at Blue Fox". ScreenDaily. Media Business Insight Limited. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- de la Fuente, Anna Marie (September 17, 2014). "Anima Brings 'Top Cat Begins' to the Bigscreen". Variety. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Anima anuncia cinta de Ahí Viene Cascarrabias". Cine3. Cine3. 5 December 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- Gutiérrez, Vicente (30 July 2018). "Misión Imposible y su éxito mundial". El Economista. Periódico El Economista S.A. de C.V. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- "Mexico Box Office, August 3-5, 2018 (Gross-to-date)". Box Office Mojo. Amazon, Inc. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "Cartoon Brew on Twitter: "The Mexican feature "A Wizard's Tale" opened in 10 U.S. theaters last weekend with a 3-day gross of $1,626. It made just $191 on Friday, or $19 per theater."". Twitter. Cartoon Brew. 17 September 2018. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "Nominados Premios CANACINE 2018". Canacine. Canacine. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "GTA19 Nominees (2018)". Golden Trailer Award. Golden Trailers Award. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- Magaña Arce, Arturo (23 April 2019). "Ariel 2019: Lista completa de nominados". Cine Premiere (in Spanish). g21 Comunicación Entertainment. Retrieved 1 May 2019.