A Million Little Pieces (film)
A Million Little Pieces is a 2018 American drama film directed and co-written by Sam Taylor-Johnson and starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson. Based on the book of the same name by James Frey, it follows a drug-addicted young man who, in an attempt to quit his addiction, checks himself into a rehabilitation center.
|A Million Little Pieces|
British theatrical poster
|Directed by||Sam Taylor-Johnson|
|Based on||A Million Little Pieces|
by James Frey
|Music by||Atticus Ross|
|Edited by||Martin Pensa|
|Distributed by||Momentum Pictures|
In 1993, following a drug-induced accidental fall, James Frey is brought home and packed off to a rehab center by his older brother Bob Frey, Jr. It is there where he meets interesting people, with whom he forms relationships and who play an important role in his life both during and after his time in the clinic. These people include a mafia boss (the subject of Frey's subsequent book My Friend Leonard) who plays a vital role in his recovery and a woman drug addict Lilly with whom he falls in love despite strict rules forbidding contact between men and women at the clinic. When tragedy befalls him, a devastated James seems set to spiral into self-destruction as did Lilly, however he finds the strength and will to resist his addictions, when faced with potential temptations. James finally recovers and never relapses.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson as James Frey
- Billy Bob Thornton as Leonard
- Charlie Hunnam as Bob Frey, Jr.
- Giovanni Ribisi as John
- David Dastmalchian as Roy
- Juliette Lewis as Joanne
- Odessa Young as Lilly
- Charles Parnell as Miles Davis
- Andy Buckley as Dr. Stevens
- Ryan Hurst as Hank
- Dash Mihok as Lincoln
- Eugene Byrd as Matty
- Tom Amandes as Dr. Baker
- Dominic Pace as Cecil
- Drake Andrew as Ed
- Deep Rai as Ticket Officer
Initial rights for a film adaptation were held by Warner Bros., which had shelved the project after it emerged the book was not a memoir as promoted, and the author James Frey fabricated elements of the story. In October 2017, Sam Taylor-Johnson was announced to be directing the film, with her husband Aaron Taylor-Johnson attached to star.
In January 2018, Billy Bob Thornton, Carla Juri, Charlie Hunnam and Giovanni Ribisi were added to the cast, with production beginning on 25 January. David Dastmalchian and Juliette Lewis were cast a few days later. Odessa Young and Charles Parnell joined the cast in February.
Rotten Tomatoes gives the film an approval rating of 28%, based on 46 reviews, with an average rating of 5.02/10. The site's consensus reads, "While solidly cast and competently helmed, A Million Little Pieces amounts to little more than a well-intentioned but unpersuasive echo of a deeply problematic memoir".
- Sam Taylor-Johnson and Aaron Taylor-Johnson Team on ‘Million Little Pieces’
- Billy Bob Thornton, Carla Juri & Charlie Hunnam Join Aaron Taylor-Johnson in ‘A Million Little Pieces’
- David Dastmalchian Joins ‘A Million Little Pieces’ & ‘Die in a Gunfight’
- Juliette Lewis Joins Aaron Taylor-Johnson in “A Million Little Pieces” Movie (Exclusive)
- Assassination Nation’ Star Odessa Young Joins ‘A Million Little Pieces’ (EXCLUSIVE)
- Charles Parnell Cast in ‘A Million Little Pieces’; Sony’s ‘Superfly’ Adds Big Bank Black & Kaalan Walker
- "A Million Little Pieces (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 9, 2019.