A Business Affair
A Business Affair is a 1994 romantic comedy film directed by Charlotte Brandström and starring Carole Bouquet. Christopher Walken and Jonathan Pryce. The film was produced by the United Kingdom in coordination with France, Germany and Spain and much of the film was shot in London. On one film poster of the film, Caroline Bouqet is featured with her arms wrapped around Big Ben with the two men beside her and sam.
|A Business Affair|
|Directed by||Charlotte Brandström|
|Produced by||Willi Bär|
|Written by||Charlotte Brandström, Lucy Flannery (dialogue) Barbara Skelton (novel), William Stadiem (screenplay)|
|Music by||Didier Vasseur|
|Edited by||Laurence Méry-Clark|
|Distributed by||Les Films Number One (France)|
The film is centred on the life of Kate Swallow and her susceptibility for falling in love with different men. At the beginning of the film she is in love with a famous writer named Alec Bolton, who dismisses any intentions she has of writing a novel herself as nonsense, strongly discouraging her. Later falls in love with a man named Vanni Corso who is the publisher of the firm for which Alec writes books, and she leaves Alec for Vanni. Kate later finds out that Vanni also doesn't think highly of her writing abilities yet he had strung her along. Gradually both men change their attitudes as they vainly struggle to win her affections.
Walken has a scene where he is able to perform his trademark tango routine.
- Carole Bouquet as Kate Swallow
- Jonathan Pryce as Alec Bolton
- Christopher Walken as Vanni Corso
- Sheila Hancock as Judith
- Anna Manahan as Bianca
- Fernando Guillén Cuervo as Ángel
- Tom Wilkinson as Bob
- Marisa Benlloch as Carmen
- Roger Brierley as Barrister
- Bhasker Patel as Jaboul
- Jessica Hamilton as Vanni Corso's secretary
- Paul Bentall as Drunken Man
- Allan Corduner as Dinner Guest
- Marian McLoughlin as Dinner Guest
- Miguel De Ángel as Spanish Taxi Driver
- Christopher Driscoll as Policeman
- Beth Goddard as Student
- Fergus O'Donnell as Student
- Richard Hampton as Doctor
- Togo Igawa as a Japanese Golfer
- Rodolfo Recrio as himself
The film premiered in France on 16 March 1994, later screening in Germany on 5 May 1994 and Spain on 22 July 1994. It premiered in the United States a year and a half later in New York City on 3 November 1995.
The UK version ran for 102 minutes but the US version has several scenes censored, particularly some of the scenes with nudity, and ran for 98 minutes.