ASTM A490 and ASTM A490M are ASTM International standards for heavy hex structural bolts made from alloy steel. The imperial standard is officially titled Standard Specification for Structural Bolts, Alloy Steel, Heat Treated, 150 ksi Minimum Tensile Strength, while the metric standard (M) is titled Standard Specification for High-Strength Steel Bolts, Classes 10.9 and 10.9.3, for Structural Steel Joints.
- SC: A slip critical connection.
- N: A bearing type connection where the threads are on the shear plane.
- X: A bearing type connection where the threads are not on the shear plane.
These bolts are equivalent to ASTM A325 bolts in application and geometry, but are made to a higher strength. The imperial grades are made to the same strength specifications as ASTM A354 grade BD. The metric grades are made to the same strength specifications as ASTM F568M property class 10.9. Also, unlike their weaker counterparts they may not be coated by hot-dip galvanization, mechanical deposition, or electroplating.
|Grade identification marking||Specification||Nominal size range [in]||Proof strength [ksi]||Yield strength (min) [ksi]||Tensile strength (min) [ksi]||Core hardness [Rockwell]|
|ASTM A490 Type 1||1⁄2–1-1⁄2||120||130||150 minimum|
|ASTM A490 Type 2 (withdrawn)||1⁄2–1|
|ASTM A490 Type 3||1⁄2–1-1⁄2|
- ASTM A490 - 08b, retrieved 2009-06-23.
- ASTM A490M - 09, retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "ASTM A490", Portland Bolt & Manufacturing Co., retrieved 2018-06-20.
- Metric structural fasteners, archived from the original on 1999-04-21, retrieved 2009-06-06.
- Grade Markings: Carbon Steel Bolts, retrieved 2009-05-30.
- ASTM, SAE and ISO grade markings and mechanical properties for steel fasteners, retrieved 2009-06-06.
- Other markings may be used to denote atmospheric corrosion resistant material
- Metric Handbook, archived from the original on October 31, 2007, retrieved 2009-06-06.
- Fastener identification marking (PDF), retrieved 2009-06-23.