AGB Nielsen Philippines
AGB Nielsen Media Research Philippines, popularly called AGB Nielsen, is a market research firm in the Philippines specializing in broadcast media. AGB Nielsen conducts audience measurement of television ratings for certain areas in the Philippines, most notably in urban areas.
|Founded||1992 (as Nielsen Media Research Philippines)|
1999 (as Audits of Great Britain-Philippines)
|Parent||The Nielsen Company|
AGB Nielsen was created by the merger of the Audits of Great Britain-Philippines (established in 1999) and Nielsen Media Research (established 1992) in 2005 as a subsidiary of AGB Nielsen Media Research, a joint venture formed by the AGB Group & the TAM business of The Nielsen Company in March 2005.
In October 2006, AGB Nielsen established the Philippines' first national television audience measurement panel called the "Nationwide Urban Television Audience Measurement (NUTAM)" that covered 95% of urban areas in the country. AGB Nielsen also conducts reports on three metropolitan cities called "Metro City TAM" (MCTAM) in addition to, Metro Manila, Cebu City and Davao City and Iloilo City.
On December 20, 2007, ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation filed a civil case against AGB Nielsen after ABS-CBN discovered tampering in ratings in Bacolod. The next day, ABS-CBN reported through their AM station DZMM that AGB Nilesen pointed GMA Network was the one behind the manipulation of ratings in Bacolod. On January 3, 2008, GMA sued for P15 million ABS-CBN and some of its employees for libel. On January 8, Quezon City regional trial court (RTC) junked ABS-CBN's case against AGB Nielsen saying it was prematurely filed.
|Area||Population||% – urban|
|Metro Manila and suburbs||15.9 million||46%|
|Mega Manila||17.9 million||52%|
|MegaTAM markets*||13.2 million||38%|
|Balance-urban Philippines||16.5 million||48%|
|Urban Philippines||34.4 million||100%|
|*Metro Manila, Iloilo City, Metro Cebu, and Metro Davao|
According to their website, the largest television market n the country is the Mega Manila; in AGB-Nielsen's case, Mega Manila consists of Metro Manila, Bulacan, Rizal, Cavite and Laguna. Mega Manila is represented by 400 panel homes. Other areas are North and Central Luzon with 300 homes; South Luzon, 300 homes; Visayas, 300 homes; and Mindanao, 200 homes. These 1,500 panel homes comprise the National Urban Television Audience Measurement (NUTAM) and are scattered throughout the country. The NUTAM, does not comprise the entire Philippines, but only the urban centers. The survey encompasses 34 million individuals or 95% of urban Philippines, which comprises around 57 percent of the entire TV viewing population of the country.
- Non-primetime: 5:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Primetime: 5:30 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
- Dumlao, Doris (6 February 2013). "It's ABS-CBN's turn to claim lead in audience ratings". The Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- Introduction, AGB Nielsen official website.
- "Court throws out ABS-CBN's damage suit vs AGB Nielsen". GMA News Online. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- "Are advertisers satisfied with the dubious TV ratings system? - The Manila Times Online". www.manilatimes.net. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- AGB Neilsen Media Research pioneers nationwide quality TV ratings, research from electronic panels AGN Nielsen official website
- Introduction, AGN Nielsen official website