AEC Regent II

The AEC Regent II was a front-engined double-decker bus built by AEC from 1945 to 1947. Despite officially being a new type it was very similar to the 1929 Regent. The Regent IIs were all documented as being new with the A173 (also known as the 7.7-litre) engine and a four speed sliding mesh gearbox. The only vehicles that were not standard were the 100 purchased by B.M.M.O. (Birmingham & Midland Motor Omnibus Company), which were classified as O661/20 as the front had to be re-designed so they could carry similar bonnets and radiator grilles that B.M.M.O. had designed for the double deckers they built themselves.

AEC Regent II
1947 AEC Regent II
Overview
ManufacturerAEC
Body and chassis
Doors1 door
Floor typeStep entrance
Powertrain
EngineAEC
TransmissionNon-synchromesh manual
Chronology
SuccessorAEC Regent III

Operators

The only other Regent IIs to differ from standard were Dundee Corporation's fleet of ex-London Transport STLs, all of which carried flared-bottomed Weymann bodies. Dundee changed the sliding mesh gearbox for the pre-selective version - a move which may have been expected from a concern like London Transport (who favoured pre-select vehicles) but not of a corporation buying vehicles second-hand. Other operators who bought Regent IIs new included Liverpool Corporation (100, A225-324), Kingston-upon-Hull Corporation, Lowestoft Corporation, Morecambe and Heysham Corporation, Mansfield and District, Reading Corporation, City of Oxford Motor Services, Ebor Bus Co of Mansfield. The twenty from London purchased by Norths, a dealer and were sold to a variety of operators such as Grimsby-Cleethorpes Transport, Widnes and Dundee Corporations.

Survivors

Out of almost 700 produced between 1945 and 1947, only nine survive. Two of those are derelict in America and one in England has been converted into a towing vehicle. Now the only place you can have a ride on a Regent II is at the East Anglia Transport Museum[1] near Lowestoft.

A former Liverpool Corporation example GKD 434 exists but little work has been done on it since the 1970s due to obsolete parts.

There is also one in British Columbia. Canada which is running and ready to be restored.[2]

References

  1. "Homepage". www.eastangliatransportmuseum.co.uk.
  2. "The Old Double Deckers Museum". web.archive.org. 21 August 2009.
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.