ABC Online is the brand name in Australia for the online services of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, managed by ABC Innovation. It covers a large network of websites including those for ABC News, television, radio, and video-on-demand through ABC iView.
The new ABC website during the 2019–20 Australian bushfire season with emergency warnings.
Type of site
|News and current affairs|
|Country of origin||Australia|
|Owner||Australian Broadcasting Corporation|
|Editor||Gaven Morris (Director of News, Analysis & Investigations)|
The ABC established its original Multimedia Unit in 1995, to manage the Corporation's website (launched in August that year). Although the unit at first relied upon funding allocation to the Corporation's television and radio operations, in subsequent budgets it began to receive its own. The ABC provided live, online election coverage for the first time in 1996, and limited news content began to be provided in 1997.
ABC Online became a part of ABC New Media and Digital Services when the Multimedia division was renamed and changed to an 'output division' similar to Television or Radio. 'Broadband news' services were introduced in 2001.
In 2008, Crikey reported that certain ABC Online mobile sites in development were planned to carry commercial advertising. Screenshots, developed in-house, of an ABC Grandstand sport page include advertising for two private companies. Media Watch later revealed that the websites were to be operated by ABC Commercial and distinguished from the main, advertising-free, mobile website by a distinct logo.
In December 2019, a refreshed ABC homepage was launched as default. It was available for public testing earlier in the year however. It's likely that other ABC sites and pages (such as news articles) will be updated to this new style in the near future.
- Gaven Morris, ABC
- "Address to National Press Club 10 September 2008" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 October 2009. Retrieved 26 September 2008.
- "About the ABC - The 90s". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Archived from the original on 2012-12-06. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "About the ABC - The 2000s". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Archived from the original on 2012-12-09. Retrieved 2007-10-04.
- Andrew Dodd (2008-09-08), New ABC Mobile service to include advertising, Crikey.com.au, archived from the original on 2008-09-11
- Media Watch (2008-09-15), ABC Designs for the future, ABC Online
- "Why has the ABC Homepage changed?". ABC Help. Retrieved 2019-12-03.