A. J. Soares
|Full name||Anthony James Soares|
|Date of birth||November 28, 1988|
|Place of birth||Solana Beach, California, United States|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|2007–2010||California Golden Bears||77||(10)|
|2010||Orange County Blue Star||1||(0)|
|2011–2014||New England Revolution||108||(6)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of November 16, 2016|
Early life, college and amateur
He played college soccer at the University of California, Berkeley. As the Cal co-captain in 2010, Soares was named a National Soccer Coaches Association of America First Team All American, Pac-10 Player of the Year, Goal.com Player of the Year. Soares entered college at California as an attacking player, but head coach Kevin Grimes converted him to a central defender because of his size and strength. However, he still managed to score five goals in his final collegiate season while anchoring a stingy Bear defense; during this campaign, he was named a semifinalist for the 2010 Hermann Trophy.
Soares was chosen by New England Revolution as the sixth overall pick in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft. He was voted New England's Defensive MVP in 2011. Soares started and played the entire 2014 MLS Cup. Soares was voted "Player's Player" and Defender of the Year for New England in 2014.
In November 2016, he retired from professional football, due to a serious head injury.
Soares' father is Portuguese and was born in the Azores. He also holds an Italian passport.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 14, 2011. Retrieved January 13, 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on February 15, 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 4, 2012. Retrieved 2011-01-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Cal's Soares discovers love for defending". December 1, 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 23, 2010. Retrieved December 23, 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- http://www.uslsoccer.com/teams/2010/22364.html#STATS Archived October 10, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- "Revs draft A.J. Soares in MLS SuperDraft".
- "Soares Receives Two Team Awards".
- "Viking henter MLS-spiller".
- "AGF skriver med A. J. Soares". AGF Fodbold.
- Frank Dell'Apa (February 11, 2011). "College star Soares doesn't mind coming in cold". Boston Globe. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Frank Dell'Apa (January 14, 2011). "Revolution draft aids defense". Boston Globe. Retrieved May 18, 2014.