A. F. Theriault Shipyard
|Industry||Shipbuilding and Repair|
|Products||custom pleasure yachts, fire boats, pilot boats, fishing boats, ferries, patrol boats, target drones|
|Services||Vessel Construction and Repair|
|Revenue||$1,000,000 to $4,999,999|
Number of employees
The shipyard has built over 900 boats and ships to date, including yachts, car ferries, pilot boats, fishing boats patrol boats and target drones. The shipyard began building small boats, mainly for fishing but evolved to build large boats and small ships and diversified from fishing boats to yachts, rescue vessels, ferries and industrial vessels. It has five marine slipways for repair of boats.
Past projects include the Boston fireboat American United, built in 2011. A current series of vessels are Hammerhead Target Drones, remote controlled high-speed drones used to train naval units in five countries. Theriault's has made over 250 of the drones which are designed by Meggitt Training Systems.
In 2014 A. F. Theriault delivered a new ferry christened the Christopher Stannix for the Halifax–Dartmouth Ferry Service and had the winning bid to deliver two additional ferries for the service.
The workforce is year-round, and can range 150 to 180 employees based on the demand. The core competency of the employees is ship construction and repair, and includes welding, painting, plumbing and electrical skillsets. Most employees are from the local area.
- "A.F. Theriault & Son Limited". Industry Canada. 2013-01-23.
- "History". A.F. Theriault & Son.
- Comeau, Tina (2008-08-15). "A.F. Theriault spends three years building $7 million luxury yacht". The Yarmouth County Vanguard.
- "New LaHave Ferry Christened the Brady E. Himmelman" (Press release). Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal (Nova Scotia). 2010-07-29.
- "Christening of Avalon Pilot". Atlantic Pilotage Authority. June 2007.
- "Léry Charles Vessel". Scotia Harvest Seafoods. Archived from the original on 2013-10-25.
- "A.F. Theriault & Son". Nova Scotia Boatbuilders Association.
- Allen, Carla (2009-12-30). "Construction of 50th Hammerhead celebrated". The Digby County Courier.
- Production of the 250th Hammerhead USV-T, The Telegram, Retrieved 22 January 2014
- Christopher Stannix christened as new Metro transit ferry, CBC News, Retrieved 11 May 2015
- theriault top bidder for halifax ferry contracts, The Chronicle Herald, Retrieved 11 May 2015