987 (formerly known as Perfect Ten 98.7FM before 26 June 2005) is a Singapore's first 24-hour English music radio station of Mediacorp Radio in Singapore. It plays English hits from Singapore, United Kingdom, United States, and around the world. 987FM is the sole contemporary hit radio station broadcasting on the FM frequency band in Singapore. 987 was launched as Perfect Ten 98.7FM on New Year's Day 1989 at midnight SST as Singapore's first 24-hour music radio stations in English language. Its studio is current at Mediacorp Campus, Mediapolis.
|Broadcast area||Singapore Mediacorp Campus 1 Stars Avenue Singapore 138507|
Malaysia Johor Bahru and some parts of Southern Johor
|Slogan||Singapore's Number 1 Hit Music Station'|
|Frequency||FM 98.7 MHz|
|First air date||1 January 1989 at midnight SST as Perfect Ten 98.7FM|
|Format||Contemporary hit radio, Top 40 (CHR), Pop radio, US Top 40|
Perfect Ten 98.7FM (1989-2005)
Perfect Ten 98.7FM became 987 with new slogan "Only The Hits" on 27 June 2005. 987's studio moved out of Caldecott Broadcast Centre on 19 July 2010 and it broadcast from *SCAPE along Orchard Road at 2 Orchard Link for three years. 987 moved back to Caldecott Broadcast Centre on 20 May 2013 after its tenancy with *SCAPE expired. On 17 January 2017, 987 studio moved out of Caldecott Broadcast Centre and into the brand new Mediacorp Campus, Mediapolis @ one-north.
987 adopts the Contemporary Hit Radio radio format, with the majority of the playlist consisting of music from the 2010s, along with a minority of hits from the late 2000s.
On Saturday nights, Spinnin' Sessions features one hour of dance anthems by label Spinnin' Records. On New Year's Eve annually, there will be a countdown of the year’s biggest hits on 987, played out over a 10 hour period, with a repeat on New Year's Day.
News and current affairs
News, sports, weather, and traffic bulletins on 987 generally air at the top of the hour.
The traffic updates are aired at half-hour intervals in the mornings, lunchtime, and evenings (6-10am, 12-2pm, 4-8pm).
The news bulletin is provided by CNA938. Prior to November 2017, the news bulletin was only aired during primetime hours (6-9am, 11am-12pm, 4-7pm). In November 2017, Mediacorp mandated the news bulletin to be aired every hour. On weekdays, the news is aired hourly from 7:00am to 9:00pm, while on weekends the news is aired hourly from 10:00am to 7:00pm.
Prior to 2017, the commercial breaks were at :00, :15, :30, :45 minutes past the hour, and the news bulletin was aired at the :45 break. On 23 January 2017, the commercials were cut from 4 to 2 breaks per hour at :20, :40, and the news bulletin was moved forward to the top of the hour. During the Ad Free 50 on weekday afternoons, the breaks are at :00, :50 minutes past the hour.
Directoral and Management
- Programming Director: Janice Lim
- Music Director: Alfred Alfie
- Ann Nicole Ng
- Naomi Yeo
Former notable DJs who crossed to other Mediacorp Stations or other Mediacorp departments
- Justin Ang - left in 2015 and joined Class 95FM in the mornings.
- Vernon Anthonisz - left in 2015 and joined Class 95FM in the mornings.
- Jean Danker - left in 1998 and joined Class 95FM in the evenings.
- Jamie Yeo - after joining Power98FM, moved to Gold 905FM in the evenings.
- Vanessa Fernandez (previously known as Ms Vandetta) - Moved to Lush 99.5FM, which ended transmission on 31 August 2017. Moved to host the Singapore Sounds segment on 938Now thereafter.
- John Klass - left in 1998. Joined Kiss 92FM in 2013 to do the Evening Drive Show and then joined Class 95FM in 2017.
Former notable DJs who crossed to competitor stations
- Maddy Barber — left in 1997. Joined One FM 91.3 and later Kiss 92FM in the mornings.
- Glenn Ong - left in 2001 and joined Class 95FM in the mornings. Left Class 95FM, and later joined One FM 91.3 in the mornings.
- Daniel Ong ("Dan the Man") - left in January 2010 and joined One FM 91.3 from September 2010 to February 2011.
- Shan Wee - left in February 2012. Joined One FM 91.3 and later Kiss 92FM in the evenings.
- Divian Nair - left in March 2014. Joined One FM 91.3 in the evenings and later Kiss 92FM in the mornings.
- Darryl Koshy (Dee Kosh) - left in 2014. Joined Power98FM at nights.
Former notable DJs who left the industry
- Rosalyn Lee (Rozz) - Moved to Lush 99.5FM, which ended transmission on 31 August 2017.
- Bobby Tonelli - left on 3 January 2014 and joined Class 95FM. Left Class 95FM on 27 February 2015.
|Award ceremony||Year||Award||Award recipient/Award for|
|Singapore Radio Awards||2006||Carlsberg's Friendliest Radio Personality||Carrie Chong|
|Most Favourite Radio Personality of 987FM||Daniel Ong|
|2007||Most Creative Radio Trailer (English)||Remember the Name by Desiree Lai|
|Carlsberg's Friendliest Radio Personality||Daniel Ong|
|Most Favourite Radio Personality of 987FM||Daniel Ong|
|2010||Best Radio Show (English)||Muttons to Midnight|
|Most Creative Radio Trailer (English)||UK Top 20 by Shan Wee|
|Best Radio Personality Blog||Rosalyn Lee Chicken Scratchings on the Wall|
|Most Popular Radio Personality of 987FM||Daniel Ong|
|2011||Best Radio Show||Muttons on the Move|
|Most Stylish Radio Personality||Rosalyn Lee|
|Most Popular Radio Personality of 987FM||Vernon A.|
|MediaCorp Radio Awards||2013||Best Radio Show||Muttons on the Move|
|Most Stylish Radio Personality||Bobby Tonelli|
|Most Popular Radio Personality of 987FM||Justin Ang|
- May 2007: The Muttons were suspended for a while due to their participation in No Bra Day, an activity that was sponsored by FHM Singapore and featured young models competing to see who could remove their bras in the fastest time possible. A video taken in the studio was posted on YouTube and the resulting uproar from viewers forced the station to pay S$9,800 to the Media Development Authority of Singapore for 'inappropriate and offensive content'. Muttons in the Morning was then replaced with The Dan and Young Show. They soon came back to 987FM in July 2007 for the late night slot show, now called Muttons To Midnight.
- July 2009: There was a lot of controversy when ex-DJ of 987FM, Chew Soo Wei, was sacked by the then programming director, Daniel Ong, over alleged claims of failing to put on an American accent and issues with proficiency of the English language. Listeners expressed disdain that it was unfair for DJs with local accents to be discriminated while DJs who speak with an American accent receive preferential treatment.
- March 2010: It was announced that Ris Low would be joining the 987 crew and hosting the evening drive-time show. There was a huge outrage among listeners over her unprofessional attitude, including turning up more than 2 hours late for her first radio show and usage of poor English.
- March 2012: When Shan Wee left 987 in February 2012, a 'ManHunt' was conducted to find a replacement for Rozz's co-host on the morning show. Listeners were invited to audition for the spot from 12 to 16 March 2012 and were told that they stood a chance of getting a spot on 987. However, it turned out that Rozz's new co-host is Bobby Tonelli from neighbour radio station, Class 95FM. There were several conspiracy theories that the auditions were a waste of time and effort and simply just a ploy by the station's creative director to gain more listenership.
|98.7 FM||Singapore, Johor Bahru (Malaysia), Southern Johor/South Johor (Malaysia), Batam Island (Indonesia) and Batam (Indonesia)|
The National Anthem plays at 06:00 SST when the station starts transmission.
|Nation||National Anthem||Arrangement||Start Broadcast||Final Broadcast|
|Singapore||Majulah Singapura||G major||New Year's Day 1989||New Year's Eve 2004|
|F major||New Year's Day 2005||now|
Similar contemporary hit radio
- Malaysia Hitz
- Effendy, Albert (31 December 1989). "Singapore's first 24-hours CHR/Pop and Top 40 youth teen". The New Paper. Archived from the original on 2 December 2018. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- 98.7 FM PERFECT 10 Singapore with 1989 countdown (FIRST DAY BROADCAST)
- "Daniel Ong — Back on radio". The Straits Times. Archived from the original on 2010-10-01. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "MediaCorp Radio fined for bra stunt". Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2012-08-08.
- "AsiaOne.com - Was 987 DJ asked to leave because she didn't sound 'American' enough?". Archived from the original on 2012-09-24. Retrieved 2012-08-08.
- Facebook - Rozz's Man Hunt
- "REVIEW: Battle of Singapore Radio Morning Shows | Spin or Bin Music Blog". Archived from the original on 2013-04-07. Retrieved 2012-08-08.