8th Berlin International Film Festival
The 8th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from 27 June to 8 July 1958. The festival was opened by Berlin's then newly elected mayor Willy Brandt. The Golden Bear was awarded to the Swedish film Smultronstället directed by Ingmar Bergman.
|Location||West Berlin, Germany|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Smultronstället)|
|Festival date||27 June – 8 July 1958|
Films in competition
The following films were in competition for the Golden Bear award:
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section
- Golden Bear: Smultronstället by Ingmar Bergman
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Tadashi Imai for Jun'ai Monogatari
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Anna Magnani for Wild Is the Wind
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Sidney Poitier for The Defiant Ones
- Silver Bear Extraordinary Prize of the Jury: Do Aankhen Barah Haath by Rajaram Vankudre Shantaram
- FIPRESCI Award
- OCIC Award
- "8th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- "Episode 3 / 1958: The Golden Key, Dialogue and the Defiance of a Front-Line City". Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1958". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "JURIES 1958". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "PROGRAMME 1958". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2014.