779 Naval Air Squadron
|779 Naval Air Squadron|
|Part of||Fleet Air Arm|
- Sturtivant, Ballance 1994, p. 100.
- Sturtivant, R; Ballance, T (1994). The Squadrons of The Fleet Air Arm. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd. ISBN 0-85130-223-8.
The 779 Fleet Requirement unit was formed as the Gibraltar fleet requirement unit on 1 October 1941 with just two Skuas for target towing and coastal defence, later acquiring a small number of Swordfish as well as Defiants, Fulmars and Sea Hurricanes. Variety of aircraft later included Beaufighters IIs, while detachments saw service in Italy and North Africa, but two Swordfish remained in the squadron to the end of the war.