4x4 (Carla Bley album)
|4 x 4|
|Studio album by|
|Producer||Carla Bley & Steve Swallow|
|Carla Bley chronology|
The Allmusic review by David R. Adler awarded the album 3 stars and stated "This batch of compositions is informed by Bley's distinctive brand of tongue-in-cheek playfulness... While the entire eight-piece band is consistently a pleasure, some of the album's most appealing moments occur during several Bley/Swallow duet passages. The two have been performing and recording as a duo for many years, so in a certain sense the whole band seems to revolve around them". The JazzTimes review by Aaron Steinberg said "Between gigs, the ruddy and no doubt road weary outfit took a time-out in Oslo to record 4 x 4. Bley and the band sound happy to have the time to themselves, and they mostly take it easy on light-hearted tunes with fun but simple arrangements". The Penguin Guide to Jazz awarded it 3⅓ stars stating "with music as impressive and as ambitious as this, who's complaining? "
|Penguin Guide to Jazz|
All tracks are written by Carla Bley.
|1.||"Blues in 12 Bars / Blues in 12 Other Bars"||14:32|
|2.||"Sidewinders in Paradise"||8:36|
|3.||"Les Trois Lagons (d'apres Henri Matisse): Plate XVII/Plate XVIII/Plate XIX"||15:37|
- Recorded at Rainbow Studio, Oslo in July 1999.
- Carla Bley discography accessed August 12, 2010
- ECM/WATT discography Archived 2016-09-16 at the Wayback Machine accessed August 25, 2016
- Adler, D. R. Allmusic Review accessed August 12, 2010
- Steinberg, A. 4 x 4 Review JazzTimes, April, 2001
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2006) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (8th ed.). New York: Penguin. p. 131. ISBN 0-14-102327-9.