48th Berlin International Film Festival
The 48th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from 11 to 22 February 1998. The festival opened with the Irish film The Boxer by Jim Sheridan. Francis Ford Coppola's The Rainmaker was selected as the closing night film. The Golden Bear was awarded to Brazilian-French film Central Station directed by Walter Salles. The retrospective dedicated to Siodmak Bros., titled Siodmak Bros. Berlin – London – Paris – Hollywood was shown at the festival.
|Opening film||The Boxer|
|Closing film||The Rainmaker|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Central Station)|
|No. of films||351 films|
|Festival date||11–22 February 1998|
Films in competition
The following films were in competition for the Golden Bear and Silver Bear awards:
|English title||Original title||Director(s)||Country|
|Barbara||Nils Malmros||Denmark, Faroe Islands|
|The Big Lebowski||The Big Lebowski||Joel Coen||USA, UK|
|The Boxer||The Boxer||Jim Sheridan||USA, Ireland|
|The Boys||The Boys||Rowan Woods||Australia|
|The Butcher Boy||The Butcher Boy||Neil Jordan||USA, Ireland|
|Central Station||Central do Brasil||Walter Salles||Brazil, France|
|The Commissioner||The Commissioner||George Sluizer||UK, USA, France, Germany, Belgium|
|Sweet Degeneration||Fang lang||Lin Cheng-sheng||Taiwan|
|Girls' Night||Girls' Night||Nick Hurran||UK|
|Good Will Hunting||Good Will Hunting||Gus Van Sant||USA|
|I Want You||I Want You||Michael Winterbottom||UK|
|Jackie Brown||Jackie Brown||Quentin Tarantino||USA|
|The Perfect Guy||Jeanne et le Garçon formidable||Olivier Ducastel, Jacques Martineau||France|
|Left Luggage||Jeroen Krabbé||USA, Netherlands, Belgium, UK|
|The Big Mambo||Das Mambospiel||Michael Gwisdek||Germany|
|The Naked Eye||La mirada del otro||Vicente Aranda||Spain|
|Same Old Song||On connaît la chanson||Alain Resnais||France, UK, Switzerland|
|The Sound of One Hand Clapping||The Sound of One Hand Clapping||Richard Flanagan||Australia|
|Country of the Deaf||Strana glukhikh||Valery Todorovsky||Russia, France|
|The Best Man||Il testimone dello sposo||Pupi Avati||Italy|
|Too Much (Little) Love||Trop (peu) d'amour||Jacques Doillon||France|
|Wag the Dog||Wag the Dog||Barry Levinson||USA|
|Xiu Xiu: The Sent Down Girl||Joan Chen||Hong Kong, USA, Taiwan|
|Hold You Tight||Yue kuai le, yue duo luo||Stanley Kwan||Hong Kong|
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section The opening and closing films are screened during the opening and closing ceremonies respectively.
- Golden Bear: Central Station by Walter Salles
- Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize: Wag the Dog by Barry Levinson
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Neil Jordan for The Butcher Boy
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Fernanda Montenegro for Central Station
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Samuel L. Jackson for Jackie Brown
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: Matt Damon for Good Will Hunting
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: Alain Resnais for On connaît la chanson
- Alfred Bauer Prize: Yue kuai le, yue duo luo
- Honourable Mention:
- Blue Angel Award: Left Luggage by Jeroen Krabbé
- Honorary Golden Bear: Catherine Deneuve
- Berlinale Camera:
- Carmelo Romero
- Curt Siodmak
- FIPRESCI Award
- "PROGRAMME 1998". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 11 April 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "48th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- "Courage to Watch". nitrateonline.com. Archived from the original on 20 July 2008. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "48th Berlin International Film Festival Berlinale 98". culturekiosque.com. Archived from the original on 9 February 2008. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1998". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 12 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "JURIES 1998". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.