46th Berlin International Film Festival
The 46th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from 15 to 26 February 1996. The Golden Bear was awarded to British-American film Sense and Sensibility directed by Ang Lee. The retrospective dedicated to American film director, producer and screenwriter William Wyler was shown at the festival.
|Awards||Golden Bear (Sense and Sensibility)|
|No. of films||339 films|
|Festival date||15–26 February 1996|
Films in competition
The following films were in competition for the Golden Bear and Silver Bear awards:
|English title||Original title||Director(s)||Country|
|Dead Man Walking||Dead Man Walking||Tim Robbins||USA|
|Village of Dreams||Eno nakano bokuno mura||Yōichi Higashi||Japan|
|Get Shorty||Get Shorty||Barry Sonnenfeld||USA|
|A Single Spark||Park Kwang-su||South Korea|
|All Things Fair||Lust och fägring stor||Bo Widerberg||Denmark, Sweden|
|Mary Reilly||Mary Reilly||Stephen Frears||USA|
|The Liars||Les menteurs||Élie Chouraqui||France|
|My Man||Mon homme||Bertrand Blier||France|
|Portland||Niels Arden Oplev||Denmark|
|Restoration||Restoration||Michael Hoffman||UK, USA|
|Sun Valley||Rì guāng xiá gǔ||He Ping||China|
|Richard III||Richard III||Richard Loncraine||UK, USA|
|Sense and Sensibility||Sense and Sensibility||Ang Lee||UK, USA|
|Silent Night||Stille Nacht||Dani Levy||Germany, Switzerland|
|The Sun Has Ears||Taiyang you er||Yim Ho||Hong Kong|
|12 Monkeys||12 Monkeys||Terry Gilliam||USA|
|A Summer in La Goulette||Un été à La Goulette||Férid Boughedir||Tunisia, France, Belgium|
|Strangled Lives||Vite strozzate||Ricky Tognazzi||Italy, France, Belgium|
|What I Have Written||What I Have Written||John Hughes||Australia|
|Holy Week||Wielki tydzień||Andrzej Wajda||Poland|
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section
- Golden Bear: Sense and Sensibility by Ang Lee
- Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize: Lust och fägring stor by Bo Widerberg
- Silver Bear for Best Director:
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Anouk Grinberg for Mon homme
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Sean Penn for Dead Man Walking
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: Yōichi Higashi for Eno nakano bokuno mura
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: Andrzej Wajda for Wielki tydzień
- Alfred Bauer Prize: Vite strozzate
- Honourable Mention:
- Blue Angel Award: Lust och fägring stor by Bo Widerberg
- Honorary Golden Bear:
- Berlinale Camera:
- FIPRESCI Award
- "PROGRAMME 1996". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "46th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1996". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 4 April 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "JURIES 1996". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.