40th Berlin International Film Festival
The 40th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from 9 to 20 February 1990. The festival opened with Steel Magnolias by Herbert Ross, which was shown out of competition. The Golden Bear was awarded to the American film Music Box directed by Costa-Gavras and Czech film Skřivánci na niti directed by Jiří Menzel.
|Opening film||Steel Magnolias|
|Location||West Berlin, Germany|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Music Box and Skřivánci na niti)|
|No. of films||467 films|
|Festival date||9 – 20 February 1990|
Films in competition
The following films were in competition for the Golden Bear and Silver Bear awards:
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section The opening and closing films are screened during the opening and closing ceremonies respectively.
- Golden Bear:
- Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize: Astenicheskiy sindrom by Kira Muratova
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Michael Verhoeven for Das schreckliche Mädchen
- Silver Bear for Best Joint Performance: Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Iain Glen for Silent Scream
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: Black Snow by Xie Fei
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: Coming Out
- Alfred-Bauer Prize: Karaul
- FIPRESCI Award
- "PROGRAMME 1990". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "40th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Berlin International Film Festival Plays Both Sides Of Wall With". chicagotribune. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1990". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "JURIES 1990". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.