39th Berlin International Film Festival
The 39th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from 10 to 21 February 1989. The Golden Bear was awarded to American film Rain Man directed by Barry Levinson. The retrospective dedicated to film producer Erich Pommer was shown at the festival.
|Location||West Berlin, Germany|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Rain Man)|
|No. of films||375 films|
|Festival date||10 – 21 February 1989|
Films in competition
The following films were in competition for the Golden Bear and Silver Bear awards:
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section
- Golden Bear: Rain Man by Barry Levinson
- Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize: Wan zhong by Wu Ziniu
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Dušan Hanák for Ja milujem, ty miluješ
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Isabelle Adjani for Camille Claude
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Gene Hackman for Mississippi Burning
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: Eric Bogosian for Talk Radio
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: Kaipo Cohen and Gila Almagor for Ha-Kayitz Shel Aviya
- Honourable Mention: La bande des quatre by Jacques Rivette
- Alfred-Bauer Prize: Sluga
- FIPRESCI Award
- "PROGRAMME 1989". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "39th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1989". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "JURIES 1989". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.