36th Berlin International Film Festival
The 36th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held 14–25 February 1986. The festival opened with Ginger and Fred by Federico Fellini, which played out of competition at the festival. The Golden Bear was awarded to German film Stammheim directed by Reinhard Hauff.
|Opening film||Ginger and Fred|
|Location||West Berlin, Germany|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Stammheim)|
|No. of films||313 films|
|Festival date||14–25 February 1986|
The retrospective dedicated to German actress and film producer Henny Porten was shown at the festival. Claude Lanzmann's 9 hour long documentary film Shoah about holocaust was screened at International Forum of New Cinema.
Films in competition
The following films were in competition for the Golden Bear and Silver Bear awards:
|English title||Original title||Director(s)||Country|
|Love Me!||Älska mej||Kay Pollak||Sweden|
|Anne Trister||Anne Trister||Léa Pool||Canada|
|At Close Range||At Close Range||James Foley||USA|
|The Berlin Affair||Interno Berlinese||Liliana Cavani||Italy, Germany|
|Caravaggio||Caravaggio||Derek Jarman||United Kingdom|
|Camorra||Un complicato intrigo di donne, vicoli e delitti||Lina Wertmüller||Italy, Germany|
|My First Two Hundred Years||Első kétszáz évem||Gyula Maár||Hungary|
|Flight North||Flucht in den Norden||Ingemo Engström||Germany, Finland|
|Gilsoddeum||Im Kwon-taek||South Korea|
|The House on the River||Das Haus am Fluß||Roland Gräf||Germany|
|Heidenlöcher||Wolfram Paulus||Austria, Germany|
|The Smile of the Lamb||Hiuch HaGdi||Shimon Dotan||Israel|
|Hour of the Star||A Hora da Estrela||Suzana Amaral||Brazil|
|The Mass Is Ended||La messa è finita||Nanni Moretti||Italy|
|My Brother-in-law Killed My Sister||Mon beau-frère a tué ma sœur||Jacques Rouffio||France|
|Pas în doi||Dan Pița||Romania|
|The Journey of a Young Composer||Akhalgazrda kompozitoris mogzauroba||Georgiy Shengelaya||Soviet Union|
|Red Kiss||Rouge Baiser||Véra Belmont||France, Germany|
|My Darling, My Darling||Skapa moya, skapi moy||Eduard Zahariev||Hungary, Bulgaria|
|Teo el pelirrojo||Paco Lucio||Spain|
|Trouble in Mind||Trouble in Mind||Alan Rudolph||USA|
|Gonza the Spearman||Yari no gonza||Masahiro Shinoda||Japan|
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section The opening and closing films are screened during the opening and closing ceremonies respectively.
- Golden Bear: Stammheim by Reinhard Hauff
- Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize: La messa è finita by Nanni Moretti
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Georgiy Shengelaya for Akhalgazrda kompozitoris mogzauroba
- Silver Bear for Best Actress:
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Tuncel Kurtiz for Hiuch HaGdi
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: Caravaggio
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: Yari no gonza
- Honourable Mention: Pas în doi
- FIPRESCI Award
- "PROGRAMME 1986". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "36th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 28 December 2010. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- "BERLIN FILM FESTIVAL – 1986". americancinemapapers.com. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1986". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "JURIES 1986". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.