28th Berlin International Film Festival
The 28th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from 22 February to 5 March 1978. The festival opened with Opening Night by John Cassavetes and closed with Steven Spielberg's out of competition film Close Encounters of the Third Kind. This was the first year the festival was held in February.
|Opening film||Opening Night|
|Closing film||Close Encounters of the Third Kind|
|Location||West Berlin, Germany|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Ascensor, What Max Said, Las truchas)|
|Festival date||22 February – 5 March 1978|
The jury awarded the Golden Bear to Spain for its contribution to the festival. The three Spanish films which were screened at the festival and won it were short film Ascensor directed by Tomás Muñoz and feature films La palabras de Max by Emilio Martínez Lázaro and Las truchas by José Luis García Sánchez.
A new section for children was introduced at the festival. The Part 2 of the retrospective dedicated to Marlene Dietrich was shown at the festival.
Films in competition
The following films were in competition for the Golden Bear award:
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section The opening and closing films are screened during the opening and closing ceremonies respectively.
The following films were shown in the retrospective dedicated to Marlene Dietrich:
|English title||Original title||Director(s)||Country|
|The Blue Angel||Der blaue Engel||Josef von Sternberg||Germany|
|The Devil Is a Woman||The Devil Is a Woman||Josef von Sternberg||USA|
|The Scarlet Empress||The Scarlet Empress||Josef von Sternberg||USA|
|Blonde Venus||Blonde Venus||Josef von Sternberg||USA|
|Shanghai Express||Shanghai Express||Josef von Sternberg||USA|
|Knight Without Armour||Knight Without Armour||Jacques Feyder||United Kingdom|
- Golden Bear:
- Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize: A Queda by Ruy Guerra, Nelson Xavier
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Georgi Djulgerov for Avantazh
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Gena Rowlands for Opening Night
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Craig Russell for Outrageous!
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution:
- Special Recognition: Deutschland im Herbst
- FIPRESCI Award
- "28th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 26 August 2010. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1978". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Berlinale beginnings". Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "JURIES 1978". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Germany in Autumn". zeit.de. Retrieved 8 June 2014.