The 225 series (225系 225-kei) is a DC electric multiple unit (EMU) train type operated by West Japan Railway Company (JR-West) on suburban services in the "Keihanshin" Kyoto-Osaka-Kobe area since December 2010.
The first 225-0 series unit delivered, Jaunuary 2019
|Manufacturer||Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Kinki Sharyo|
|Replaced||103 series, 113 series, 117 series, 205 series, 221 series|
|Entered service||December 2010|
|Number under construction||16 vehicles on order|
|Number built||372 vehicles (as of 2017)|
|Number in service||372 vehicles|
|Formation||8/6/4 cars per trainset|
|Depot(s)||Aboshi, Hineno, Miyahara|
|Line(s) served||Tokaido Main Line, Sanyo Main Line, Kosei Line, Hokuriku Main Line, Akō Line, Osaka Loop Line, Hanwa Line, Kansai Airport Line, Kisei Main Line, Fukuchiyama Line|
|Car body construction||Stainless steel|
|Car length||19,570 mm (64 ft 2 in) (end cars)|
19,500 mm (64 ft 0 in) (intermediate cars)
|Width||2,950 mm (9 ft 8 in)|
|Floor height||1,120 mm (3 ft 8 in)|
|Doors||3 pairs per side|
|Maximum speed||130 km/h (81 mph) (225-0 series)|
120 km/h (75 mph) (225-5000/6000 series)
|Traction system||Variable frequency (2-level IGBT)|
|Acceleration||2.5 km/h/s (1.55 mph/s)|
|Deceleration||Normal: 4.6 km/h/s (2.86 mph/s)|
Emergency: 5.2 km/h/s (3.2 mph/s)
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC Overhead|
|Current collection method||WPS28C single-arm pantograph|
|Bogies||WDT63 (powered), WTR246B/WTR246C (trailer)(225-0/6000 series)|
WDT63A (powered), WTR246D/WTR246E (trailer)(225-5000 series)
|Braking system(s)||Regenerative brake, electronically controlled pneumatic brakes, snow-resistant brake, parking brake|
|Safety system(s)||ATS-SW2, ATS-P3|
Dead man's switch (225-5100 series)
|Multiple working||221/223 series|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
- 225-0 series
- 225-100 series
- 225-5000 series
- 225-5100 series
- 225-6000 series
The total order of 226 vehicles consists of 110 225-0 series vehicles with a maximum speed of 130 km/h for use on Tokaido Main Line and Sanyo Main Line Special Rapid services and 116 225-5000 series vehicles with a maximum speed of 120 km/h for use on the Hanwa Line. Livery for each is identical to that of the 223 series vehicles on each of these routes.
The first 225-100 series second-batch sets were delivered in early 2016, formed as four- and eight-car units. These were followed by 225-5100 series second-batch sets, also delivered in early 2016, formed as four- and six-car sets.
225-5000/5100 series (4 cars)
225-5100 series (6 cars)
|Numbering||KuMoHa 224||MoHa 225-300||MoHa 224||MoHa 224||MoHa 225-500||MoHa 224||MoHa 224||KuMoHa 225|
|Weight||41.8 t||39.5 t||38.6 t||38.6 t||39.0 t||38.6 t||38.6 t||41.6 t|
|Numbering||KuMoHa 224||MoHa 224||MoHa 225||MoHa 224||MoHa 224||KuMoHa 225|
|Numbering||KuMoHa 224-1xx||MoHa 225-4xx||MoHa 224-1xx||MoHa 224-1xx||MoHa 225-6xx||MoHa 224-1xx||MoHa 224-1xx||KuMoHa 225-1xx|
|Numbering||KuMoHa 224-1xx||MoHa 225-1xx||MoHa 224-1xx||KuMoHa 225-1xx|
|Numbering||KuMoHa 224-5000||MoHa 225-5000||MoHa 224-5000||KuMoHa 225-5000|
|Numbering||KuMoHa 224-51xx||MoHa 224-51xx||MoHa 225-51xx||MoHa 224-51xx||MoHa 224-51xx||KuMoHa 225-51xx|
|Numbering||KuMoHa 224-51xx||MoHa 225-51xx||MoHa 224-51xx||KuMoHa 225-51xx|
|Numbering||KuMoHa 224-6000||MoHa 224-6000||MoHa 225-6000||MoHa 224-6000||MoHa 224-6000||KuMoHa 225-6000|
The first 225-0 series 8-car train was delivered from Kinki Sharyo on 18 May 2010. The first pair of 225-5000 series 4-car trains was delivered from Kinki Sharyo on 7 September 2010.
- 平成25年春ダイヤ改正について [Spring 2013 timetable revision details] (PDF). JR-West news release (in Japanese). West Japan Railway Company. 21 December 2012.
- "衝撃を吸収する新型車両完成 脱線事故を教訓に ＪＲ西 (JR-West Unveils New Trains with Crash Impact Absorption)". Asahi Shimbun (in Japanese). The Asahi Shimbun Company. 17 May 2010. Archived from the original on 25 May 2010. Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- ＪＲ西日本225系が完成。 [JR-West 225 series completed]. rail.hobidas.com (in Japanese). Neko Publishing. 19 May 2010. Archived from the original on 24 May 2010. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- 西日本旅客鉄道株式会社225系車両制御装置 [Electric Equipment of Series 225 Train For West Japan Railway co.] (PDF). Toyo Electric Technical Information No. 123 (in Japanese). March 2011. p. 39. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- 新型近郊電車225系の展示会の開催について [Details of new 225 series EMU display)]. westjr.co.jp (in Japanese). JR-West. 15 September 2010. Archived from the original on 19 September 2010. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "JR-West rolls out carriages boasting safety 'crush zone'". The Japan Times. Japan. 18 May 2010. Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- "JR西日本 京阪神エリアに225系直流電車を投入" [JR-West to introduce 225 series DC EMUs in Keihanshin area]. rail.hobidas.com (in Japanese). Neko Publishing. 16 September 2009. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- 225系増備車 [225 series additional-build sets]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 56 no. 661. Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. May 2016. p. 74-75.
- 225系増備車 [225 series additional-build sets]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 56 no. 662. Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. June 2016. p. 78-79.
- ＪＲ西日本 ２２５系近郊型直流電車 [JR-West 225 series DC suburban EMU]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine. 39 (315): 70–71. July 2010.
- ２２５系近郊形直流電車 [JR-West 225 series DC suburban EMU]. Japan Railfan Magazine. 50 (592): 60–66. August 2010.
- 225系5000番台が近畿車輛から出場 [225-5000 series delivered from Kinki Sharyo]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Koyusha Co., Ltd. 7 September 2010. Archived from the original on 11 September 2010. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- 225系6000番台が福知山へ [225-6000 series transferred to Fukuchiyama]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Koyusha Co., Ltd. 2 March 2012. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- "225系Y2編成が6000番台に" [225 series Y2 set to the level of No. 6000]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Koyusha Co., Ltd. 13 March 2012. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- 225系が近畿車輛から出場 [225 series delivered from Kinki Sharyo]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Koyusha Co., Ltd. 18 May 2010. Archived from the original on 23 May 2010. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "225系が営業運転を開始" [225 series enter revenue service]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online. Koyusha Co., Ltd. 2 December 2010. Retrieved 2 December 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 225 series.|
- JR-West CEO's September 2009 report announcing 225 series order (in Japanese)
- JR-West news release announcing completion of first set (18 May 2010) (in Japanese)
- Kinki Sharyo 225 series information (in Japanese)