2020 Major League Soccer season
The 2020 Major League Soccer season will be the 25th season of Major League Soccer. The regular season will begin on February 29, 2020 (making it the first year the season will begin in February), and will end in October 2020. The MLS Cup Playoffs will begin in October or November 2020, and conclude with MLS Cup 2020 in November 2020.
2021 →All statistics correct as of July 17, 2019.
Stadiums and locations
- Non-soccer specific stadium and artificially reduced capacity.
- Temporary stadium.
Personnel and sponsorship
|Team||Head coach||Captain||Shirt sponsor|
|Atlanta United FC||American Family Insurance|
|Chicago Fire FC||Motorola|
|FC Cincinnati||Mercy Health|
|Columbus Crew SC||Acura|
|Houston Dynamo||MD Anderson|
|Inter Miami CF|
|Los Angeles FC||YouTube TV|
|Minnesota United FC||Target|
|Montreal Impact||Bank of Montreal|
|Nashville SC||Renasant Bank|
|New England Revolution||UnitedHealthcare|
|New York City FC||Etihad Airways|
|New York Red Bulls||Red Bull|
|Orlando City SC||Orlando Health|
|Philadelphia Union||Bimbo Bakeries USA|
|Portland Timbers||Alaska Airlines|
|Real Salt Lake||LifeVantage|
|San Jose Earthquakes|
|Seattle Sounders FC||Zulily|
|Sporting Kansas City||Ivy Funds|
|Toronto FC||Bank of Montreal|
|Vancouver Whitecaps FC||Bell Canada|
|Team||Outgoing coach||Manner of
|Position in table||Incoming coach||Date of |
|Orlando City SC||Fired||October 7, 2019||Pre-season||December 4, 2019|
|Houston Dynamo||End of interim period||October 24, 2019||October 25, 2019|
|Montreal Impact||End of contract||October 24, 2019||November 14, 2019|
|New York City FC||Mutual consent||November 8, 2019||TBD||TBD|
|Chicago Fire FC||Fired||November 13, 2019||TBD||TBD|
The league is divided into two conferences of 13 teams, with each playing a 34-game regular season with 17 home matches and 17 away matches. Every team will play their intra-conference opponents twice—once home and once away for a total of 24 matches—while the other 10 regular season matches are played against the opposite conference. The 2020 season will be the first in MLS season in which a full single round-robin format is used, with some teams not playing each other.
|1||Atlanta United FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Conference Semifinals & 2021 CONCACAF Champions League|
|2||Chicago Fire FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||First round & 2021 Leagues Cup|
|4||Columbus Crew SC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|6||Inter Miami CF||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||First round|
|8||New England Revolution||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|9||New York City FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|10||New York Red Bulls||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|11||Orlando City SC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) total wins; 3) total goal differential; 4) total goals scored; 5) disciplinary points; 6) away goal differential; 7) away goals scored ; 8) home goals scored; 9) home goal differential; 10) coin toss or drawing of lots.
|1||Colorado Rapids||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Conference Semifinals & 2021 CONCACAF Champions League|
|2||FC Dallas||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||First round & 2021 Leagues Cup|
|5||Los Angeles FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|6||Minnesota United FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||First round|
|9||Real Salt Lake||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|10||San Jose Earthquakes||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|11||Seattle Sounders FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|12||Sporting Kansas City||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|13||Vancouver Whitecaps FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) total wins; 3) total goal differential; 4) total goals scored; 5) disciplinary points; 6) away goal differential; 7) away goals scored; 8) home goals scored; 9) home goal differential; 10) coin toss or drawing of lots
The leading team in this table wins the Supporters Shield.
|1||Atlanta United FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||2021 CONCACAF Champions League|
|2||Chicago Fire FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|5||Columbus Crew SC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|9||Inter Miami CF||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|11||Los Angeles FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|12||Minnesota United FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|15||New England Revolution||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|16||New York City FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|17||New York Red Bulls||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|18||Orlando City SC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|21||Real Salt Lake||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|22||San Jose Earthquakes||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|23||Seattle Sounders FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|24||Sporting Kansas City||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|26||Vancouver Whitecaps FC||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) total wins; 3) total goal differential; 4) total goals scored; 5) disciplinary points; 6) away goals scored; 7) away goal differential; 8) coin toss or drawing of lots
- As Supporters' Shield champions (USA2)
The MLS SuperDraft is an annual event, taking place in January of each year, in which the teams of Major League Soccer select players who have graduated from college or otherwise been signed by the league. The first two rounds of 2020 MLS SuperDraft will be held in January in Baltimore. Rounds three and four of the 2020 SuperDraft were held via a conference call.
The allocation ranking is the mechanism used to determine which MLS club has first priority to acquire a player who is in the MLS allocation list. The MLS allocation list contains select U.S. National Team players and players transferred outside of MLS garnering a transfer fee of at least $500,000. The allocations are ranked in reverse order of finish for the 2019 season, taking playoff performance into account.
Once the club uses its allocation ranking to acquire a player, it drops to the bottom of the list. A ranking can be traded provided that part of the compensation received in return is another club's ranking. At all times each club is assigned one ranking. The rankings reset at the end of each MLS season.
|Club||Date allocation used
(Rank on that date)
|Player signed||Previous club||Ref|
|2||2||Inter Miami CF|
|4||4||Vancouver Whitecaps FC|
|5||5||Orlando City SC|
|6||6||Sporting Kansas City|
|7||7||Columbus Crew SC|
|10||10||Chicago Fire FC|
|12||12||San Jose Earthquakes|
|13||13||New England Revolution|
|15||15||New York Red Bulls|
|20||20||Real Salt Lake|
|26||26||Seattle Sounders FC|
- Deas, Tommy (January 31, 2019). "Nashville MLS team to open play in 2020 and play home games at Nissan Stadium". The Tennessean. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- Poe, Julia. "MLS Players Association hopes to avoid strike as it settles in for CBA negotiations". Pro Soccer USA. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Goff, Steven (July 31, 2019). "Wayne Rooney, midfielder? With MLS all-stars, DCU star orchestrates attack in loss". The Washington Post. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
MLS early start: The 2020 season will begin in late February, about two weeks earlier than this year, Foose said.
- "FC Cincinnati break ground on Mercy Health Training Center". Major League Soccer. September 19, 2018. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- "Oscar Pareja announced as Orlando City SC's new head coach". Major League Soccer. December 4, 2019. Retrieved December 4, 2019.
- Liljenwall, Ari (October 25, 2019). "Houston Dynamo name Tab Ramos as Head Coach". Major League Soccer. Retrieved October 25, 2019.
- "Thierry Henry named head coach of the Montreal Impact". Montreal Impact. November 14, 2019. Retrieved November 20, 2019.
- Boehm, Charles (December 2, 2019). "MLS 2020 conference alignment: Inter Miami in East, Nashville in West". MLSsoccer.com. MLS Digital. Retrieved December 2, 2019.
- Goff, Steven (December 2, 2019). "MLS breaks with tradition, will no longer have every team face every other team". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 2, 2019.
- "MLS Allocation Ranking". Major League Soccer. December 27, 2018. Retrieved January 7, 2019.
- "MLS Allocation Process". November 12, 2019. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
Template:2020 in Canadian soccer