2018 Melbourne Cup
The 2018 Melbourne Cup (known commercially as 2018 Lexus Melbourne Cup) was the 158th running of the Melbourne Cup, a prestigious Australian Thoroughbred horse race. The race was run over 3,200 metres (1.988 mi) on 6 November 2018 at Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne.
|Date||6 November 2018|
|Winning horse||Cross Counter|
|1||Best Solution||Saeed bin Suroor||Pat Cosgrave||6||8|
|2||The Cliffsofmoher||Aidan O'Brien||Ryan Moore||9||Did not Finish|
|3||Magic Circle||Ian Williams||Corey Brown||17||16|
|4||Chestnut Coat||Yoshito Yahagi||Yuga Kawada||4||14|
|5||Muntahaa||John Gosden||Jim Crowley||13||9|
|6||Sound Check||Michael Moroney||Jordan Childs||16||18|
|7||Who Shot Thebarman||Chris Waller||Ben Melham||18||17|
|8||Ace High||David Payne||Tye Angland||22||20|
|9||Marmelo||Hughie Morrison||Hugh Bowman||10||2|
|10||Avilius||James Cummings||Glyn Schofield||11||22|
|11||Yucatan||Aidan O'Brien||James McDonald||23||11|
|12||Auvray||Richard Freedman||Tommy Berry||1||21|
|13||Finche||Chris Waller||Zac Purton||15||4|
|14||Red Cardinal||Darren Weir||Damien Oliver||5||23|
|15||Vengeur Masque||Michael Moroney||Patrick Moloney||2||15|
|16||Ventura Storm||David Hayes||Mark Zahra||7||10|
|17||A Prince of Arran||Charlie Fellowes||Michael Walker||20||3|
|18||Nakeeta||Iain Jardine||Regan Bayliss||3||12|
|19||Sir Charles Road||Lance O'Sullivan||Dwayne Dunn||14||7|
|20||Zacada||Murray Baker||Damian Lane||24||13|
|21||Runaway||Gai Waterhouse||Stephen Baster||12||19|
|22||Youngstar||Chris Waller||Craig Williams||8||6|
|23||Cross Counter||Charlie Appleby||Kerrin McEvoy||19||1|
|24||Rostropovich||Aidan O'Brien||Wayne Lordan||21||5|
Irish colt The CliffsofMoher was euthanised after he suffered a fractured right shoulder.
After the races, 6 jockeys were fined.
Hugh Bowman was cited on three separate charges in the $7.3 million race - an incident of careless riding at the 500m, excessive whip use prior to the final 100m and the fact that he weighed in more than half a kilogram over his prescribed weight of 55kg aboard runner-up Marmelo.
Kerrin McEvoy was fined $3000 after using the whip nine times - four more than what is permitted under the rules - on Cross Counter in the final 400m of the race.
Jim Crowley and Christine Puls were also suspended for careless riding on the undercard at Flemington.
- "Track records and Attendances". Flemington.com.au. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- Lexus Melbourne Cup's new sponsor Racing.com 13 February 2018
- Ten wins Melbourne Cup broadcast rights from Seven Mumbrella 31 August 2018
- "Melbourne Cup: 2018 field, form guide and sweep". ABC News. 4 November 2018. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Melbourne Cup 2018: Cross Counter takes out the Melbourne Cup". The Age. 6 November 2018. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Matthey, James. "Melbourne Cup 2018: Final finishing order" news.com.au, 6 November 2018. Retrieved on 6 November 2018.
- "Melbourne Cup: The CliffsofMoher breaks down during run, unable to be saved". Wide World of Sports. 6 November 2018. Retrieved 6 November 2018.