2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup Final
The 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup Final was a football match that was played on at the Suwon World Cup Stadium, Suwon, South Korea on 11 June 2017 to determine the champions of the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup. The final was contested by Venezuela and England. England won the match 1–0, winning the title for the first time. Dominic Calvert-Lewin scored his second goal of the tournament during the final, which turned out to be the only goal in the game. This was the first ever final for both England and Venezuela in the history of the tournament.
|Event||2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup|
|Date||11 June 2017|
|Venue||Suwon World Cup Stadium, Suwon|
|Referee||Björn Kuipers (Netherlands)|
27 °C (81 °F)
This was England's first appearance and victory in the final of a global football tournament since their senior World Cup victory in 1966. Their previous best at the U-20 World Cup was third place in 1993.
For Venezuela it was only the second appearance at the U-20 World Cup, previously in 2009 they only managed to go as far as the second round.
Road to the final
|Group B winners
|Final standings||Group A winners
|1–0 (aet)||Round of 16||2–1|
|1–1 (aet) (4–3 pen.)||Semi-finals||3–1|
Dominic Calvert-Lewin scored the winning goal in the 35th minute when he finished from close range after his initial effort was blocked by Wuilker Faríñez, but the rebound fell into his path. He made no mistake with his second chance.
England goalkeeper Freddie Woodman made two vital saves in the second half. The first was a one-on-one opportunity for Sergio Córdova created by Yeferson Soteldo, and the second from the penalty spot from Adalberto Peñaranda.
The match was evenly contested throughout, with both sides hitting the woodwork, but it was England's evening in the end, as the Young Lions held on to become U-20 World Cup champions for the first time.
After the match, England forward Dominic Solanke, was named the player of the tournament and receive the Golden Ball. Previous winner of the award include Diego Maradona, Lionel Messi, Luís Figo, Paul Pogba and Sergio Agüero.
Reaction in England
England's win ended 51 years of waiting for a global tournament trophy. Their senior counterpart watched the game from a laptop and applauded as the final whistle was blown.
- "Tactical line-up – Venezuela–England" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 29 June 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Under-20 World Cup:England beat Venezuela in final". BBC Sport. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "'He's gone full Dudek' – Liverpool fans react as England win the Under-20 World Cup". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "U-20 World Cup 2017 Results: England, Venezuela Progress to Final for 1st Time". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Liverpool new boy Dominic Solanke joins megastars on list of Under-20 Golden Ball winners". Daily Star. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Dominic Solanke follows Lionel Messi and Paul Pogba in winning Golden Ball at U20 World Cup". Metro.co.uk. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "'IT'S JUST CRAZY' England Under-20s World Cup hero Freddie Woodman reveals all about THAT famous penalty save". thesun.co.uk. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Match report – Final – Venezuela v England" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 11 June 2017. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- "Match page – Venezuela 0–1 England". FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association). 29 June 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "England team react to the Under-20's winning the World Cup". Givesport. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- FIFA U-20 World Cup, FIFA.com