2015 Syrian Air Force An-26 crash
On 18 January 2015, an Antonov An-26 operated by the Syrian Air Force crashed with no survivors while attempting to land at the besieged Abu al-Duhur military airport in Idlib Governorate, Syria. The plane was carrying troops as well as military equipment and ammunition. There were 35 people on board, 30 Syrian soldiers and 5 Iranian military experts.
An Antonov An-26 similar to the aircraft involved
|Accident or shootdown|
|Date||18 January 2015|
|Site||Abu al-Duhur military airport, Idlib Governorate, Syria |
|Aircraft type||Antonov An-26|
|Operator||Syrian Air Force|
|Destination||Abu al-Duhur military airport, Idlib Governorate, Syria|
Syrian state media and the SOHR said that the crash was due to heavy fog or "technical issues" and that the plane hit an electricity pylon. However, Al-Qaeda affiliated group Al-Nusra Front claimed that they shot it down.
Syrian media provided a list with the names of the 30 Syrian soldiers who were killed. The commander of the Syrian army division, Colonel Hussein Al-Yousif, was among those listed killed. Per SOHR, 13 Syrian officers were among the fatalities.
- "At least 35 people killed in Syrian military plane crash". rte.ie. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Syria conflict: Army 'plane crash' kills 35 soldiers". BBC News. 2015-01-18.
- Leith Fadel. "Idlib: Cargo Jet Crashes Outside of Abu Dhuhour Airbase - 30 Dead". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- sohranas. "11 military leaders from militia of Hezbollah and Iranian Revolutionary Guards die over the last 24 hours". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Archived from the original on 23 January 2015. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Syrian Air Force plane crash 201 - 37 people died". PlaneCrashes.org. 2015-01-18. Archived from the original on 2015-06-22. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Syrian military plane crash kills 35, al-Qaida claims credit". UPI. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Al Qaeda says downs Syrian cargo plane, army says fog causes crash". defenceweb.co.za. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "Al Qaeda says downs Syrian cargo plane, army says fog causes crash". Reuters. 2015-01-18.
- "ASN 20150118". Aviation Safety Network. 2015-01-18.