2015 NWSL Expansion Draft
The 2015 NWSL Expansion Draft was a special draft held on November 2, 2015 by the National Women's Soccer League to allow expansion side Orlando Pride to select players from existing teams in the league. The Pride were allowed to select up to ten players total from the existing nine NWSL teams from a list of unprotected players previously provided by the clubs.
- 2015 playoff teams (Chicago Red Stars, FC Kansas City, Seattle Reign FC and Washington Spirit) were allowed to protect up to 9 players, and 2015 non-playoff teams (Boston Breakers, Houston Dash, Portland Thorns FC, Sky Blue FC and Western New York Flash) up to 10.
- Clubs with more than two U.S. allocated players could protect up to two of them; the remaining allocated players would be left unprotected.
- The Pride were allowed to pick up to two players from any existing team, or just one if they selected a US allocated player.
- The Pride were allowed to pick no more than two US allocated players total.
- When an existing club loses a player, they may protect one of their remaining unprotected players.
- Eligible players included those left unprotected by their club encompassing:
- Any current NWSL players including U.S., Mexican and Canadian allocated players
- Any unsigned player who was previously claimed via waivers
- Any player that has been loaned to a club outside the NWSL
- Any player whose rights are held by a specific team
- Players on a team’s Discovery List were not eligible to be selected by the Pride.
Expansion draft results
|#||Team||Player||Previous Team||Next Protected|
|1||Orlando Pride||Meghan Klingenberg1||Seattle Reign FC||Team Protected|
|2||Orlando Pride||Ashlyn Harris||Washington Spirit||Team Protected|
|3||Orlando Pride||Taryn Hemmings||Chicago Red Stars||Michele Dalton|
|4||Orlando Pride||Jasmyne Spencer||Western New York Flash||Elizabeth Eddy|
|5||Orlando Pride||Jamia Fields||Western New York Flash||Team Protected|
|6||Orlando Pride||Cami Levin||Sky Blue FC||Maya Hayes|
|7||Orlando Pride||Lianne Sanderson||Portland Thorns FC||Meleana Shim|
|8||Orlando Pride||Toni Pressley||Houston Dash||Tiffany McCarty|
|9||Orlando Pride||Maddy Evans||Boston Breakers||Stephanie Verdoia|
|10||Orlando Pride||Aubrey Bledsoe||Sky Blue FC||End of Draft|
1On October 26, 2015, it was announced that the expansion Orlando Pride had trade the #1 pick in the 2015 NWSL Expansion Draft as well as the #1 pick in the 2016 NWSL College Draft and an international roster spot for the 2016 and 2017 seasons to the Portland Thorns FC in exchange for USA star forward Alex Morgan and Canadian midfielder Kaylyn Kyle.
- Bold indicates a player was selected in the expansion draft
- Blue highlights indicate US allocated players
- ^Indicates a player that was protected after a teammate had been drafted
FC Kansas City
Portland Thorns FC
Seattle Reign FC
Sky Blue FC
Western New York Flash
- "NWSL ANNOUNCES EXPANSION DRAFT PROCEDURES". National Women's Soccer League. 23 October 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-10-27. Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- "NWSL ANNOUNCES PROTECTED AND UNPROTECTED PLAYERS". National Women's Soccer League. October 26, 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-10-28. Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- Tenorio, Paul (2 November 2015). "Orlando Pride continues building roster through NWSL expansion draft". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Orlando Pride Acquires Alex Morgan, Kaylyn Kyle and Sarah Hagen". Orlando Pride. October 26, 2015. Retrieved October 26, 2015.