2014 PDL season
The 2014 USL Premier Development League season was the 20th season of the PDL. The regular season began on May 3 and ended July 20. The regular season was followed by a postseason tournament of conference winners to determine the league's champion. Seven teams were added to the league, bringing the total number of teams in the league to 64 for 2014. The Austin Aztex were the defending champions.
|Goals scored||1,381 (3.12 per match)|
|Biggest home win||LIR 8, NJL 0|
|Biggest away win||VIC 7, LAU 0|
|Highest scoring||LIR 8, NJL 0|
KWU 6, TOR 2
WMA 7, WES 1
|Longest winning run||10, Seacoast United|
(June 8 - July 19)
|Longest unbeaten run||14, Ocala Stampede|
(June 5 - July 27)
|Longest winless run||14, Vermont Voltage|
|Longest losing run||11, NJ-LUSO Parma|
(May 26 - July 20)
|Highest attendance||8,207 POR vs. PUG|
|Lowest attendance||16 CHI vs. TOR|
|Average attendance||590 (375 of 443 games reported)|
Changes from 2013
Seven new clubs joined the PDL in 2014.
|Team Name||Metro Area||Location||Previous Affiliation|
|Greater Montreal||Montreal, Quebec||CSL|
|Pittsburgh metropolitan area||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania||expansion|
|Greater Cincinnati||Cincinnati, Ohio||expansion|
|Albuquerque metropolitan area||Albuquerque, New Mexico||expansion|
|Las Vegas–Paradise, Nevada||Las Vegas, Nevada||expansion|
|Lane County, Oregon||Eugene, Oregon||expansion|
|Santa Clara County, California||San Jose, California||expansion|
- Central Jersey Spartans - Folded
- El Paso Patriots - Folded
- Kansas City Brass - Folded
- Oklahoma City FC - Withdrew - joined NPSL, new team to play in the 2015 NASL
- Ottawa Fury - Folded, new Ottawa Fury FC team plays in the NASL
- VSI Tampa Bay FC - Folded
- Virginia Beach Piranhas - Folded
- Chicago Inferno - Folded mid-season
|Key to colours in group tables|
|Team in position to win Division Title|
|Team in position to qualify for playoff berth|
Note: The first tie-breaker in PDL standings is head-to-head results between teams tied on points, which is why some teams with inferior goal differences finish ahead in the standings.
Great Lakes Division
|2||K-W United FC||14||8||3||3||26||20||+6||27|
|3||Chicago Fire Premier||14||7||5||2||21||20||+1||23|
|4||Forest City London||14||6||4||4||32||25||+7||22|
|6||Pittsburgh Riverhounds U23||14||2||11||1||13||37||−24||7|
|1||Des Moines Menace||14||12||1||1||32||7||+25||37|
|2||St. Louis Lions||14||6||4||4||18||16||+2||22|
|3||Thunder Bay Chill||14||6||7||1||22||17||+5||19|
Mid Atlantic Division
|2||Reading United AC||14||9||1||4||30||12||+18||31|
|3||Long Island Rough Riders||14||8||2||4||26||13||+13||28|
|4||Ocean City Nor'easters||14||7||5||2||24||24||0||23|
|6||Northern Virginia Royals||14||3||9||2||17||30||−13||11|
|1||Seacoast United Phantoms||14||11||1||2||28||7||+21||35|
|2||Connecticut FC Azul||14||9||2||3||27||13||+14||30|
|3||Western Mass Pioneers||14||8||4||2||33||16||+17||26|
|4||Montreal Impact U23||14||7||5||2||26||17||+9||23|
|5||Real Boston Rams||14||6||6||2||21||26||−5||20|
|6||GPS Portland Phoenix||14||4||9||1||19||32||−13||13|
South Atlantic Division
|1||West Virginia Chaos||14||7||3||4||24||17||+7||25|
|2||Cincinnati Dutch Lions||14||6||4||4||27||20||+7||22|
|5||SC United Bantams||14||4||8||2||19||23||−4||14|
|6||River City Rovers||14||3||7||4||19||27||−8||13|
Mid South Division
|5||Houston Dutch Lions||14||1||10||3||12||37||−25||6|
|2||SW Florida Adrenaline||14||7||2||5||27||14||+13||26|
|3||IMG Academy Bradenton||14||5||7||2||15||22||−7||17|
|4||Panama City Beach Pirates||14||4||6||4||23||27||−4||16|
|5||Orlando City U-23||14||2||7||5||16||23||−7||11|
|3||Albuquerque Sol FC||14||3||5||6||12||16||−4||15|
|4||Las Vegas Mobsters||14||4||9||1||17||31||−14||13|
|5||Real Colorado Foxes||14||2||8||4||12||18||−6||10|
|3||Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-23||14||8||3||3||34||19||+15||27|
|4||Portland Timbers U23's||14||5||4||5||20||20||0||20|
|5||Seattle Sounders FC U-23||14||5||7||2||18||20||−2||17|
|7||Puget Sound Gunners FC||14||3||9||2||9||31||−22||11|
|8||Lane United FC||14||2||10||2||10||27||−17||8|
|1||Ventura County Fusion||14||8||3||3||26||17||+9||27|
|2||Los Angeles Misioneros||14||7||2||5||28||17||+11||26|
|3||San Jose Earthquakes U-23||14||7||4||3||27||18||+9||24|
|5||OC Pateadores Blues||14||5||7||2||20||29||−9||17|
|6||Southern California Seahorses||14||1||12||1||14||41||−27||4|
Participants in the four conference championships were determined according to the specific rules of each conference. In the two-division Central and Southern Conferences, the top two teams from each division meet in a conference final four. In the Eastern and Western Conferences, both of which are broken into three divisions, additional quarterfinal matches were required. In the Western Conference, two teams from the Northwest Division advanced to the conference final four: the division champion and the winner of a match between the division's second- and third-place teams. The first-place teams from the Mountain and Southwest divisions met the second-place teams of the other division to determine the final two participants. In the Eastern Conference the winner of a match between the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic divisions' second-place teams advanced to the final four along with the three division champions.
Eastern Conference Championship
|July 22, 2014 1st Round||0–3||John Gurski Stadium|
West Lawn, Pennsylvania
Referee: Jaroslaw Werel
|July 26, 2014 Semifinal||2–0||Lubetkin Field|
Newark, New Jersey
Referee: Kris Larwa
|July 26, 2014 Semifinal||0–2||Lubetkin Field|
Newark, New Jersey
|Referee: Jaime Herrera|
Central Conference Championship
|July 25, 2014 Semifinal||3–1 (a.e.t.)||Valley Stadium|
West Des Moines, Iowa
|Referee: Trent Payne|
|July 25, 2014 Semifinal||0–0 (a.e.t.)|
West Des Moines, Iowa
Referee: Jeremy Uecker
Southern Conference Championship
|July 26, 2014 Semifinal||1–1 (a.e.t.)|
|Referee: Ismael Elfarth|
|July 26, 2014 Semifinal||3–1||House Park|
Referee: Ledzek Stalmach
Western Conference Championship
|July 16, 2014 Quarterfinal||2–7||Royal Athletic Park|
Victoria, British Columbia
Referee: Darnell Smit
|July 19, 2014 Quarterfinal||1–0||Peter Johann Memorial Field|
Las Vegas, Nevada
|Referee: Charles Farr|
|July 19, 2014 Quarterfinal||2–1||Peter Johann Memorial Field|
Las Vegas, Nevada
|Referee: C. Scott|
|July 25, 2014 Semifinal||3–3 (a.e.t.)|
|Kino Sports Complex|
|Referee: Matt Sternheim|
|July 25, 2014 Semifinal||1–0||Kino Sports Complex|
Referee: Charles Farr
|Conference Semifinals (July 25–26)||Conference Finals (July 26–27)||Semi-Finals (August 1)||Championship (August 3)|
|NE1||Seacoast United Phantoms||0|
|SA1||West Virginia Chaos||2|
|SA1||West Virginia Chaos||1|
|NE2||Connecticut FC Azul||0|
|HL1||Des Moines Menace (PEN)||0 (4)|
|GL2||K-W United FC||0 (3)|
|HL1||Des Moines Menace||0|
|GL1||Michigan Bucks (AET)||3|
|HL2||St. Louis Lions||1|
|SE2||SW Florida Adrenaline||1|
|SE1||Ocala Stampede (PEN)||1 (5)|
|MS2||Laredo Heat||1 (4)|
|NW3||Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-23||0|
|NW1||Kitsap Pumas (PEN)||3 (3)|
|SW1||Ventura County Fusion||3 (1)|
|August 1, 2014||2–1||Ultimate Soccer Arenas|
|Referee: Connor Williams|
- Most Valuable Player: Dzenan Catic, (MIB)
- Young (U21) Player of the Year: Ricardo Velazco (TUC)
- Coach of the Year: Michael Jeffries, (DMM)
- Goalkeeper of the Year: Billy Thompson, (TUC)
All-League and All-Conference Teams
F: Anthony Grant (SUP) *, Jeff McClure (CIN), Alencar Junior (WMA)
M: Boluwatife Akinyode (NJL), Shaun Foster (LIR), Walter Hines (JER)
D: Kouassi Sylvain N’Guessan (JER), Jake Stovall (CIN), Tom Wharf (LIR), Travis Brent (WVA)
G: Alex Bono (REA)
F: Chris Hellmann (DMM) *, Moses Danto (WSA), Dzenan Catic (MIB) *
M: Zach Steinberger (MIB) *, Drew Conner (CHI), Ralph Lundy (DMM)
D: Nolan Intermoia (THU) *, Ken Tribbett (MIB), Blake Jones (STL), Dan Keller (CHI)
G: Yuta Nomura (SPR)
F: Javier Castro (LAM), Cody Cook (VAN), Kharlton Belmar (POR)
M: Ricardo Velazco (TUC) *, Jose Cuevas (FRE) *, Bryan de la Fuente (LAM)
D: Ramon Martin Del Campo (SJO) *, James Kiffe (VEN), Cory Keitz (KIT) *, Jordan Farahani (VAN)
G: Billy Thompson (TUC) *
- "Taking Attendance 7/22/2014: (Mostly) Final PDL Numbers". Kenn Tomasch. www.kenn.com. July 22, 2014. Retrieved July 24, 2014.
- "Montreal Impact U23 Joins PDL". Goal.com. January 24, 2014. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "Riverhounds Add PDL Franchise". United Soccer Leagues (USL). November 26, 2013. Archived from the original on 2013-11-30. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "Cincinnati Dutch Lions FC Joins PDL". United Soccer Leagues (USL). September 16, 2013. Archived from the original on September 27, 2013. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Albuquerque Sol FC Joins PDL". United Soccer Leagues (USL). December 5, 2013. Archived from the original on July 9, 2014. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "PDL Expands to Las Vegas for 2014". United Soccer Leagues (USL). October 10, 2013. Archived from the original on October 14, 2013. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- "Lane United FC Joins PDL". United Soccer Leagues (USL). July 18, 2013. Archived from the original on September 27, 2013. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- "Earthquakes Acquire PDL Franchise". United Soccer Leagues (USL). October 28, 2013. Archived from the original on October 29, 2013. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
- "Earthquakes establish PDL team for 2014 season". San Jose Earthquakes. October 28, 2013. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
- "Floridians F.C. Joins PDL". United Soccer Leagues (USL). December 20, 2013. Archived from the original on February 1, 2014. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "PDL Alignment & Schedule Announced". United Soccer Leagues (USL). January 31, 2014. Archived from the original on February 1, 2014. Retrieved January 31, 2014.
- Official Standings Archived 2015-11-09 at the Wayback Machine
- "PDL Statement Regarding the Chicago Inferno". United Soccer Leagues (USL). June 23, 2014. Archived from the original on June 25, 2014. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- "Menace match 'postponed' as Chicago team shuts down". Chris Cuellar. Des Moines Register. June 23, 2014. Archived from the original on June 24, 2014. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- "PDL Playoff Races Take Shape". uslpdl.com. United Soccer Leagues. July 11, 2014. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- "2014 PDL Media Guide". secureserver.net (Press release). United Soccer Leagues. Retrieved June 25, 2014.
- "Grinwis Shines As Bucks Take Title". United Soccer Leagues (USL). August 3, 2014. Archived from the original on August 10, 2014. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- "PDL Award Winners Announced". United Soccer Leagues (USL). August 2, 2014. Archived from the original on August 8, 2014. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- "PDL All-Conference Teams Announced". United Soccer Leagues (USL). July 28, 2014. Archived from the original on July 29, 2014. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "PDL All-League Team Announced". United Soccer Leagues (USL). July 29, 2014. Archived from the original on July 30, 2014. Retrieved July 29, 2014.