2014 Andaman boat disaster
2014 Andaman boat disaster was an incident which occurred on 26 January 2014, when a tourist boat capsized near Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar islands, India, killing 22 people. The boat "Aqua Marine" was carrying 45 tourists from Tamil Nadu and Mumbai.
|Date||January 26, 2014|
|Location||"Aqua Marine" (tourist boat),|
near Port Blair, India
|Participants||Crew and 45 passengers|
The boat "Aqua Marine" was carrying 45 tourists from India from Ross Islands to North Bay when it sank and at least 21 people lost their lives. The capacity of the boat was 25 and overloading of the boat resulted in the tragedy. The boat sank at a distance of about 2.5 km from the shore of Port Blair and majority of the tourists were from Tamil Nadu. The administration of the Island group was busy with Republic Day of India and learnt the news at 4.30 p.m. on 26 January 2014. More than 29 people were rescued by district administration while one was still missing. Rescued were admitted to G B Pant hospital. The boat had no life jackets and there were no divers on board.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands administration announced a 100,000 Indian Rupee ex-gratia payment to the family of the deceased tourists. India's then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa expressed their grief over the accident, while Jayalalithaa also announced a compensation of 100,000 Indian Rupees each to the families of dead. Owner of the boat and two others were detained by the law enforcing agencies for enquiry.
- "Information Relating to Boat Accident in Andaman & Nicobar Islands" (Press release). PIB. 13 February 2014. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "21 die as boat with tourists capsizes in Andaman". The Hindu Business Line. 26 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Kumar, Ravi N (26 January 2014). "21 dead in boat capsize near Port Blair". The Hindu. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- PTI (27 January 2014). "Three detained in connection with Andaman ferry tragedy". Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Gulati, Archana. "Andaman Boat Tragedy: How can we prevent such Incidents?". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Manmohan Singh and Jayalalithaa condole Andaman Boat Tragedy". IANS. Biharprabha News. Retrieved 26 January 2014.