2012 Melbourne Cup
The 2012 Emirates Melbourne Cup was the 152nd running of the Melbourne Cup, Australia's most prestigious Thoroughbred horse race. The race, held on Tuesday, 6 November 2012, at Flemington Racecourse (in Melbourne, Victoria), was won by Green Moon, ridden by jockey Brett Prebble, trained by Robert Hickmott, and owned by businessman Lloyd Williams.
|Date||6 November 2012|
|Winning horse||Green Moon|
The prize money for the race, held over a distance of 3,200 metres, was A$6.2 million, increased from $6.175 million the previous year. The prize money is split between the first ten runners, with first place taking $3.6 million. The actual cup awarded to the winner of the race (included in the value of the prize money) is valued at $175,000. The race was attended by approximately 106,000 people.
Dunaden (top) and Americain (below), both previous winners, were considered favourites to win the race, but placed 14th and 11th, respectively.
The field for the 2012 Melbourne Cup consisted of 24 horses, with the barrier draw conducted three days prior to the race, on the day of the running of the Victoria Derby. Going into the race, favourites included Americain (winner of the 2010 race), Dunaden (winner of the 2011 race), and Red Cadeaux (second in the 2011 race), with Dunaden having won the 2012 Caulfield Cup, considered an important lead-up race. With Glencadam Gold leading for most of the race, Green Moon pulled clear in the final straight, and eventually won in 3 minutes, 20.45 seconds, with Fiorente a length behind in second place, and Jakkalberry in third. Ethiopia finished last, 63 lengths behind the winner, having injured a tendon during the race. Green Moon's win was the first in the cup for both the horse's jockey, Brett Prebble, and trainer, Robert Hickmott, and the fourth win overall for the owner, Lloyd Williams, who thus became the equal most successful owner in the race's history. The win was later described as "a major upset", with Green Moon having been priced at $22.50 for a win and $7.40 for a place.
- Except where otherwise listed, horses are trained in Australia:
|1||Dunaden (IRE)||Mikel Delzangles (FR)||Craig Williams||59 kg||16||14|
|2||Americain (USA)||Alain de Royer-Dupre (FR)||Damien Oliver||58 kg||12||11|
|3||Jakkalberry (IRE)||Marco Botti (UK)||Colm O'Donoghue (IRE)||55.5 kg||19||3|
|4||Red Cadeaux (GB)||Ed Dunlop (UK)||Michael Rodd||55.5 kg||18||8|
|5||Winchester (USA)||John Sadler||Jamie Mott||55.5 kg||22||17|
|6||Voila Ici (IRE)||Peter Moody||Vlad Duric||55 kg||13||13|
|7||Cavalryman (GB)||Saeed bin Suroor (UAE)||Frankie Dettori (ITA)||54 kg||6||12|
|8||Mount Athos (IRE)||Luca Cumani (UK)||Ryan Moore (UK)||54 kg||8||5|
|9||Sanagas (GER)||Bart Cummings||Nicholas Hall||54 kg||4||18|
|10||Ethiopia||Pat Carey||Rhys McLeod||54 kg||14||24|
|11||Fiorente (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||James McDonald (NZ)||53.5 kg||2||2|
|12||Galileo's Choice (IRE)||Dermot Weld (IRE)||Pat Smullen (IRE)||53.5 kg||11||20|
|13||Glencadam Gold (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||Tommy Berry||53.5 kg||7||6|
|14||Green Moon (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||Brett Prebble||53.5 kg||5||1|
|15||Maluckyday (NZ)||Michael, Wayne|
& John Hawkes
|Jim Cassidy (NZ)||53.5 kg||9||19|
|16||Mourayan (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||Hugh Bowman||53.5 kg||3||7|
|17||My Quest For Peace (IRE)||Luca Cumani (UK)||Corey Brown||53.5 kg||1||10|
& John Hawkes
|Dwayne Dunn||53.5 kg||15||15|
|19||Tac De Boistron (FR)||Michael Kent||Olivier Doleuze (FR)||53.5 kg||21||23|
|20||Lights of Heaven (NZ)||Peter Moody||Luke Nolen||53 kg||17||16|
|21||Precedence (NZ)||Bart Cummings||Blake Shinn||53 kg||20||9|
|22||Unusual Suspect (USA)||Michael Kent||Glyn Schofield||53 kg||23||21|
|23||Zabeelionaire (NZ)||Leon Corstens||Craig Newitt||52 kg||24||22|
|24||Kelinni (IRE)||Chris Waller||Glen Boss||51 kg||10||4|
- "Track records and Attendances". Flemington.com.au. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- Green Moon wins 2012 Melbourne Cup Archived 9 November 2012 at the Wayback Machine – NineMSN. Published 6 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Charles and Camilla arrive at Flemington – Herald Sun. Published 6 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Camilla to present Melbourne Cup – ABC News. Published 6 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Melbourne Cup Prizemoney – Just Horse Racing. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- 2012 Emirates Melbourne Cup Tour – Yahoo!7. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Sankey, Daniel (2012). Live coverage: Melbourne Cup Day – Sydney Morning Herald. Published 6 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Melbourne Cup field 2012 – ABC News. Published 5 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Melbourne Cup Barrier Draw – Betting Directory. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Thomas, Ray (2012). Dunaden not at peak, Sheikh warns – Herald Sun. Published 3 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Green Moon wins Melbourne Cup 2012 – Radio Australia. Published 6 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Melbourne Cup 2012: Video replay – The Roar. Published 6 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Green Moon Bags 2012 Melbourne Cup; 4th Win for Owner Lloyd Williams Archived 14 July 2014 at the Wayback Machine – International Business Times. Published 6 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Green Moon bounces back from Cox Plate failure to win the Melbourne Cup from Fiorente and Jakkalberry – Fox Sports. Published 6 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.