2012 AFL draft
|2012 AFL draft|
|Date(s)||22 November 2012|
11 December 2012
|Location||Gold Coast Convention Centre,|
Gold Coast, Queensland
|Sponsored by||National Australia Bank|
|First selection||Lachie Whitfield (Greater Western Sydney)|
- 2012 trade period; which was held between 1 October and 26 October, and for the first time incorporated a free agency eligibility period.
- A mini-draft of 17-year-old players, as part of the recruitment concessions given to the newly established Greater Western Sydney Giants, held on 26 October
- The 2012 national draft; which was conducted on 22 November at the Gold Coast Convention Centre.
- The 2013 pre-season draft which was held on 11 December 2012 and
- The 2013 rookie draft, also held on 11 December 2012.
Of the players not yet eligible for free agency, Kurt Tippett from Adelaide, Sharrod Wellingham and Chris Dawes from Collingwood were the highest profile players who were linked to trade discussions. Geelong have reached an agreement with Gold Coast regarding Josh Caddy, which would involve Geelong's mid-first-round compensation pick, for losing Gary Ablett Jr. to the Suns and other picks to be confirmed, with paperwork for this trade to be lodged to the AFL at a later date.
During the 2012 AFL season, in the leadup to the first ever free agency trade period, there was speculation about high-profile players who had contracts that expired at the end of the season, including Travis Cloke, Travis Boak, Brendon Goddard and Troy Chaplin. However, during the season, Cloke and Boak both re-signed with their current clubs. Brent Moloney from Melbourne became the first player to announce that he would become a free agent He was followed by Carlton pair Bret Thornton and Jordan Russell, West Coast's Quinten Lynch and Port Adelaide's Steven Salopek to declare themselves as free agents.
The initial list of free agents, published in March 2012, consisted of 62 unrestricted free agents and 19 restricted free agents. A restricted free agent is a player who has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is one of the top 25 per cent highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service. Unrestricted free agents are players who have been delisted by their club, played more than ten seasons at one AFL club or has played eight or more seasons at one club and is not one of the top 25 per cent highest-paid players at his club. Restricted free agents must allow their current club to match any offer from a rival club, whereas unrestricted free agents are free to sign with any other club.
The final free agents list issued on 27 September in the week before the trade period commenced consisted of 28 unrestricted free agents and six restricted free agents, reflecting the number of players that had either re-signed with their current club or retired from the AFL.
|Player||Date||Free agent type||Former club||New club||Compensation||Ref|
|Danyle Pearce||1 October 2012||Restricted||Port Adelaide||Fremantle||2nd round|
|Brendon Goddard||1 October 2012||Restricted||St Kilda||Essendon||1st round|
|Chris Knights||1 October 2012||Unrestricted||Adelaide||Richmond||None|
|Troy Chaplin||1 October 2012||Restricted||Port Adelaide||Richmond||2nd round|
|Quinten Lynch||2 October 2012||Unrestricted||West Coast||Collingwood||3rd round|
|Shannon Byrnes||4 October 2012||Unrestricted||Geelong||Melbourne||None|
|Tom Murphy||12 October 2012||Unrestricted||Hawthorn||Gold Coast||None|
|Brent Moloney||12 October 2012||Restricted||Melbourne||Brisbane Lions||3rd round|
|Jared Rivers||18 October 2012||Unrestricted||Melbourne||Geelong||3rd round|
|Clinton Young||19 October 2012||Unrestricted||Hawthorn||Collingwood||3rd round|
|Jonathan Simpkin||1 November 2012||Delisted||Geelong||Hawthorn||None|
|Tom Gillies||13 November 2012||Delisted||Geelong||Melbourne||None|
|Dylan Roberton||30 November 2012||Delisted||Fremantle||St Kilda||None|
|Nick Lower||3 December 2012||Delisted||Fremantle||Western Bulldogs||None|
|Trade #||Player and/or picks traded||Traded from||Traded to||Traded for|
|1||Draft picks No. 2 and 67
End of first-round (Brennan) compensation pick
|Gold Coast||Greater Western Sydney||GWS Mini-draft pick No. 1|
End of first-round (Palmer) compensation pick
|2||Angus Monfries||Essendon||Port Adelaide||Draft pick No.51|
|3||Tom Lee (Claremont)
Draft picks No. 24 and 45
|Greater Western Sydney||St Kilda||Draft pick No. 12|
Draft pick No. 27
|Western Bulldogs||Hawthorn||Draft picks No. 21 and 43|
|5||GWS Mini-draft pick No.2
Dominic Barry (North Ballarat)
Draft pick No. 20 (Davis compensation selection)
|Greater Western Sydney||Melbourne||Draft picks No. 3 and 14 (Scully compensation selection)|
|6||Sharrod Wellingham||Collingwood||West Coast||Draft pick No. 18|
Draft pick No. 61
|Collingwood||Melbourne||Draft picks No. 20 (Davis compensation selection) and 47|
|8||Hamish McIntosh||North Melbourne||Geelong||Draft pick No. 38|
|9||Josh Caddy||Gold Coast||Geelong||First-round Compensation pick |
Draft pick No. 57
Draft pick No. 53 (relinquished)
|Richmond||Adelaide||Draft pick No. 42|
Jake Neade (North Ballarat)
|Greater Western Sydney||Port Adelaide||Draft pick No. 28|
Draft picks No. 25 and 46
|Gold Coast||St Kilda||Draft picks No. 13, 36 and 55|
|13||Koby Stevens||West Coast||Western Bulldogs||Draft pick No. 43|
Draft pick No. 58
|Fremantle||Gold Coast||Draft pick No. 36|
|15||Tom Young||Collingwood||Western Bulldogs||Draft pick No. 69|
|16||David Rodan||Port Adelaide||Melbourne||Draft pick No. 88|
|17||Jordan Russell||Carlton||Collingwood||Draft pick No. 69|
|18||Lewis Stevenson||West Coast||Port Adelaide||Draft pick No. 88|
Draft pick No. 82
|Sydney||Port Adelaide||Draft pick No. 70|
|20||Cale Morton||Melbourne||West Coast||Draft pick No. 88 (unused)|
|21||Aaron Edwards||North Melbourne||Richmond||Draft pick No. 72|
Draft pick No. 61
|Melbourne||North Melbourne||Cameron Pedersen|
Draft pick No. 72
Draft pick No. 70
|Sydney||Hawthorn||Draft pick No. 64 (Young compensation selection)|
Draft picks No. 27 and 63
|Hawthorn||Greater Western Sydney||Jed Anderson (NT zone selection)|
Draft picks No. 28 and 66
|25||Stefan Martin||Melbourne||Brisbane Lions||Draft picks No. 52 and 71|
|26||Draft picks No. 41 and 47||Collingwood||North Melbourne||Draft pick No. 38|
|27||Trent Dennis-Lane||Sydney||St Kilda||Draft pick No. 46|
Draft pick No. 45
|St Kilda||West Coast||Draft picks No. 40 and 43|
Note: the numbering of the draft picks in this trades table may be different to the draft picks known at the time of the trade due to adjustments due to either the insertion of compensation draft picks, Adelaide relinquishing their first two selections or clubs exiting the draft before the later rounds.
Retirements and delistings
|Daniel Connors||Richmond||4 July 2012||Mutually agreed to part ways with club, failed to meet club expectations on multiple occasions|
|Cameron Bruce||Hawthorn||16 July 2012||Retirement, due to on-going back injury, effective immediately|
|Brad Green||Melbourne||8 August 2012||Retirement, effective end of season|
|Brad Miller||Richmond||16 August 2012||Retirement, effective immediately|
|Kelvin Moore||Richmond||16 August 2012||Retirement, effective immediately|
|Lindsay Gilbee||Western Bulldogs||20 August 2012||Retirement, effective immediately|
|Ryan Hargrave||Western Bulldogs||20 August 2012||Retirement, effective immediately|
|Chris Tarrant||Collingwood||21 August 2012||Retirement|
|Antoni Grover||Fremantle||28 August 2012||Retirement|
|Mark McVeigh||Essendon||29 August 2012||Retirement|
|Josh Fraser||Gold Coast||29 August 2012||Retirement|
|Andrew Hooper||Western Bulldogs||3 September 2012||Delisted|
|James Mulligan||Western Bulldogs||3 September 2012||Retirement|
|Liam Jurrah||Melbourne||3 September 2012||Resignation|
|Amon Buchanan||Brisbane Lions||3 September 2012||Retirement|
|Brent Moloney||Melbourne||4 September 2012||Resignation|
|James McDonald||Greater Western Sydney||5 September 2012||Retirement|
|Steve Clifton||Greater Western Sydney||5 September 2012||Delisted|
|Tim Segrave||Greater Western Sydney||5 September 2012||Delisted|
|Brett Peake||St Kilda||5 September 2012||Delisted|
|Dean Polo||St Kilda||5 September 2012||Delisted|
|Sam Crocker||St Kilda||5 September 2012||Delisted|
|Daniel Archer||St Kilda||5 September 2012||Delisted|
|Andrew L. Browne||Richmond||7 September 2012||Delisted|
|Jeromey Webberley||Richmond||7 September 2012||Delisted|
|Dean MacDonald||Richmond||7 September 2012||Delisted|
|Addam Maric||Richmond||7 September 2012||Delisted|
|Gibson Turner||Richmond||7 September 2012||Delisted|
|Piva Wright||Richmond||7 September 2012||Delisted|
|Rohan Kerr||Carlton||7 September 2012||Delisted|
|Nick Heyne||Carlton||7 September 2012||Delisted|
|Matthew Scarlett||Geelong||9 September 2012||Retirement|
|John McCarthy||Port Adelaide||9 September 2012||Died|
|Chance Bateman||Hawthorn||14 September 2012||Retirement|
|Nathan Djerrkura||Western Bulldogs||15 September 2012||Retirement|
|Luke Power||Greater Western Sydney||18 September 2012||Retirement|
|David Wojcinski||Geelong||18 September 2012||Retirement, effective following VFL Grand Final|
|Jay Van Berlo||Fremantle||18 September 2012||Delisted|
|Gavin Urquhart||North Melbourne||19 September 2012||Delisted|
|Malcolm Lynch||North Melbourne||19 September 2012||Delisted|
|Simon Hogan||Geelong||24 September 2012||Retired|
|Sam Sheldon||Brisbane Lions||24 September 2012||Delisted|
|Cheynee Stiller||Brisbane Lions||24 September 2012||Delisted|
|James Hawksley||Brisbane Lions||24 September 2012||Delisted|
|Bryce Retzlaff||Brisbane Lions||24 September 2012||Delisted|
|Josh Dyson||Brisbane Lions||24 September 2012||Delisted|
|Brad Harvey||Brisbane Lions||24 September 2012||Delisted|
|Josh Drummond||Brisbane Lions||25 September 2012||Retired|
|Brad Symes||Adelaide||27 September 2012||Delisted|
|Tom Swift||West Coast||5 October 2012||Retirement|
|Mark Seaby||Sydney||8 October 2012||Delisted|
|Jarred Moore||Sydney||8 October 2012||Delisted|
|Eugene Kruger||Sydney||8 October 2012||Delisted|
|Jack Lynch||Sydney||8 October 2012||Delisted|
|Dylan McNeil||Sydney||8 October 2012||Delisted|
|Paul Bower||Carlton||9 October 2012||Delisted|
|Jarrad Boumann||Hawthorn||12 October 2012||Delisted|
|David Rodan||Port Adelaide||12 October 2012||Delisted|
|Simon Phillips||Port Adelaide||12 October 2012||Delisted|
|Mitch Banner||Port Adelaide||12 October 2012||Delisted|
|Jacob Surjan||Port Adelaide||12 October 2012||Delisted|
|Ricky Petterd||Melbourne||27 October 2012||Delisted|
|Matthew Bate||Melbourne||27 October 2012||Delisted|
|Jamie Bennell||Melbourne||27 October 2012||Delisted|
|Lucas Cook||Melbourne||27 October 2012||Delisted|
|Cruize Garlett||North Melbourne||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Matt Campbell||North Melbourne||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Ben McKinley||North Melbourne||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Ben Speight||North Melbourne||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Ben Warren||North Melbourne||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Gerrick Weedon||West Coast||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Andrew Strijk||West Coast||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Simon Buckley||Collingwood||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Jonathon Ceglar||Collingwood||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Luke Rounds||Collingwood||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Kirk Ugle||Collingwood||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Cameron Wood||Collingwood||29 October 2012||Delisted|
|Tom Gillies||Geelong||30 October 2012||Delisted|
|Jonathan Simpkin||Geelong||30 October 2012||Delisted|
|Orren Stephenson||Geelong||30 October 2012||Delisted|
|Sam Lonergan||Essendon||30 October 2012||Delisted|
|Kyle Reimers||Essendon||30 October 2012||Delisted|
|Michael Osborne||Hawthorn||30 October 2012||Delisted|
|Tom Schneider||Hawthorn||30 October 2012||Delisted|
|Adam Pattison||Hawthorn||30 October 2012||Delisted|
|Broc McCauley||Hawthorn||30 October 2012||Retired|
|Jason Gram||St Kilda||30 October 2012||Contract terminated|
|Nicholas Winmar||St Kilda||24 November 2012||Delisted|
|Peter Yagmoor||Collingwood||29 November 2012||Delisted|
As part of their entry concessions, Greater Western Sydney was allocated up to four selections in a mini-draft, which could be used to recruit seventeen-year-olds who would not otherwise be eligible for that year's national draft. These players could not play senior AFL football until the 2014 season. GWS could not use these draft picks themselves, but could trade them to other clubs prior to either the 2011 or 2012 AFL Drafts. In 2011, Gold Coast and Adelaide negotiated trades with GWS for selections in this draft and selected Jaeger O'Meara and Brad Crouch. The two remaining selections for the 2012 mini-draft were obtained by the Gold Coast (pick No. 1) and Melbourne (pick No. 2). Western Australian youngsters Jack Martin and Jesse Hogan were widely expected to be taken with the two Mini-draft picks.
|1||Jack Martin||Claremont Football Club||WAFL||Gold Coast|
|2||Jesse Hogan||Claremont Football Club||WAFL||Melbourne|
2012 national draft
The 2012 AFL national draft was held on 22 November at the Gold Coast Convention Centre.
During the free agency and trade period, the Adelaide Football Club was investigated for draft tampering and breaches of the salary cap relating to the 2009 contract extension of Kurt Tippett, who was seeking a trade. Adelaide was likely to incur a loss of draft picks, among other penalties, if found guilty, but the AFL Commission was yet to complete its hearing into the matter when the National Draft was held, so the club was permitted to participate in this year's draft as normal. However, on the day before the draft, the club voluntarily relinquished its highest two remaining selections (No. 20 and 54) as a "gesture of goodwill" ahead of the hearing. When the final penalties were handed down on 30 November, Adelaide was also stripped of its first and second round draft picks in the 2013 National Draft, as well as receiving a fine; Tippett received an 11-match suspension, and a fine.
- Source: AFL Draft Order
- Compensation picks are selections in addition to the normal order of selection, allocated to clubs by the AFL as compensation for losing uncontracted players to the new expansion clubs, Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney. The picks can be held for up to five years and clubs declare at the beginning of the season of their intent to utilise the pick at the end of the season. Picks could be traded to other clubs in return for players or other draft selections.
- free agency compensation picks are additional selections awarded to teams based on their net loss of players during the free agency trade period.
- Promoted rookies are players who are transferred from a club's rookie list to their primary list.
- Local talent selections are local zone selections available to the new expansion clubs.
2013 pre-season draft
|Round||Pick||Player||Recruited from||League||Drafted to|
|1||1||Bret Thornton||Carlton||AFL||Greater Western Sydney|
|1||3||Sam Colquhoun||Central District||SANFL||Port Adelaide|
|1||6||Will Hams||Gippsland Power||TAC Cup||Essendon|
|1||8||Jack Hannath||Central District||SANFL||Fremantle|
|2||12||Dean Brogan||Greater Western Sydney||AFL||Greater Western Sydney|
2013 rookie draft
- Browne, Ashley (30 September 2012). "Don't expect a free-for-all".
- Key dates for draft and free agency
- Lienert, Sam (30 September 2012). "Goddard heads AFL free agency candidates". Archived from the original on 30 December 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Rucci, Michelangelo (27 September 2012). "Crows forward Kurt Tippett leaves town to consider future". adelaidenow.
- Edmund, Sam (28 September 2012). "Collingwood denies Travis Cloke's contract saga killed its premiership chances". Herald Sun.
- Denham, Greg (5 September 2011). "The much sought-after midfielder Travis Boak intends to stay with Port". The Australian.
- Holmesby, Luke (30 September 2012). "FA explained".
- Macgugan, Mark (16 March 2012). "Free agents".
- "Free agency rules". Archived from the original on 17 March 2012.
- Holmesby, Luke (27 September 2012). "Goddard one of six key agents".
- Phelan, Jason (20 October 2012). "Saints given pick 13 for BJ". AFL.com.au. BigPond. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- Schmook, Nathan (1 October 2012). "Freo tables Pearce offer". Archived from the original on 2 October 2012.
- Tedeschi, Nick (1 October 2012). "Goddard now a Bomber".
- Daffey, Paul (1 October 2012). "Knights heads to Tigerland".
- "Richmond tables offer for Chaplin". 1 October 2012. Archived from the original on 4 October 2012. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- McNichol, Adam (2 October 2012). "Lynch joins Collingwood".
- Holmesby, Luke (4 October 2012). "Byrnes joins Melbourne".
- Daffey, Paul (12 October 2012). "Suns snare Murphy".
- Twomey, Callum (12 October 2012). "Moloney a Lion".
- Ryan, Peter (18 October 2012). "Rivers flows to Geelong".
- Witham, Jennifer (19 October 2012). "Pies' Young talent time". Archived from the original on 20 October 2012.
- Macgugan, Mark (1 November 2012). "Hawks sign Simpkin".
- Seewang, Niall (13 November 2012). "Gillies joins Demons".
- "Roberton joins Saints". 29 November 2012.
- McNichol, Adam (3 December 2012). "Lower signs with Dogs".
- Seewang, Niall (8 October 2010). "Suns to snare Martin". AFL.com.au. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- "Pills seal Connors' fate". AFL BigPond Network. 4 July 2012. Archived from the original on 7 July 2012. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "Bruce announces retirement". AFL BigPond Network. 16 July 2012. Archived from the original on 19 August 2012. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- "Brad bows out". AFL BigPond Network. 8 August 2012. Archived from the original on 11 August 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- "Miller's time is up, Moore retires too". AFL BigPond Network. 16 August 2012. Archived from the original on 19 August 2012. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- "Bulldog veterans to retire". AFL BigPond Network. 20 August 2012. Archived from the original on 21 August 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Taz for the memories. Tarrant to hang up the boots". Melbourne: The Age. 21 August 2012. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Grover and out". AFL BigPond Network. 28 August 2012. Archived from the original on 30 August 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "Spike calls it a day". AFL BigPond Network. 29 August 2012. Archived from the original on 30 August 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Sun sets for Fraser". AFL BigPond Network. 29 August 2012. Archived from the original on 31 August 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Dogs delist history-making little man". AFL BigPond Network. 3 September 2012. Archived from the original on 5 September 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- Gleeson, Michael (3 September 2012). "Jurrah quits Demons". Fairfax. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Lion veteran Buchanan calls it quits". AFL BigPond Network. 7 September 2012. Archived from the original on 19 October 2012.
- "Brent Moloney". Melbourne Football Club. 4 September 2012. Retrieved 6 September 2012.
- "Old McDonald goes, Chad stays". AFL BigPond Network. 5 September 2012. Archived from the original on 21 October 2012. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Saints cull quartet". AFL BigPond Network. 5 September 2012. Archived from the original on 21 October 2012. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Tigers swing axe and cut six from list". AFL BigPond Network. 7 September 2012. Archived from the original on 21 October 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Changes to the Carlton List". Carlton Football Club. 7 September 2012. Archived from the original on 4 October 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Cats crunched, Scarlett departs". Melbourne: Fairfax Media. 9 September 2012. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- AFL Footballer John McCarthy Dies In Las Vegas
- "No more, says Chance". AFL BigPond Network. 14 September 2012. Archived from the original on 20 October 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "Bulldogs' surprise retirement". AFL BigPond Network. 15 September 2012. Archived from the original on 20 October 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Power pulls the plug". AFL BigPond Network. 18 September 2012. Archived from the original on 20 October 2012. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Wojo calls it a day". Geelong Cats Official AFL Website. 18 September 2012. Archived from the original on 22 October 2012. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Van Berlo one of three delistings". 18 September 2012. Archived from the original on 19 October 2012.
- "Kangaroos delist three". Fairfax Media. 19 September 2012. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- "Hogan bids Geelong goodbye on a high". The Age. Melbourne. 24 September 2012. Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- Whiting, Michael (21 September 2012). "Lions cut six". AFL.com.au. Archived from the original on 19 October 2012.
- Whiting, Michael (25 September 2012). "I can't go on: Drummond". Archived from the original on 29 October 2012.
- Rucci, Michelangelo (27 September 2012). "Crows chop Brad Symes off their list".
- "Young midfielder Tom Swift quits West Coast Eagles to study medicine". Herald Sun. 5 October 2012. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- "Swans delist five". Australian Football League. 8 October 2012. Archived from the original on 22 October 2012. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "McLean a Blue for at least one more". Archived from the original on 22 October 2012.
- "List Change". 12 October 2012. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Dees delist eight players". 27 October 2012. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Landsberger, Sam (29 October 2012). "Matt Campbell and Cruize Garlett delisted by North Melbourne". Herald Sun.
- Schmook, Nathan (29 October 2012). "Eagles axe two more". Archived from the original on 31 October 2012.
- Holmesby, Luke (29 October 2012). "Magpies delist five". Archived from the original on 31 October 2012.
- McNicol, Adam (30 October 2012). "Cats delist three". Archived from the original on 31 October 2012.
- Walsh, Gary; Twomey, Callum (30 October 2012). "Bombers axe two". Archived from the original on 31 October 2012.
- "Hawks announce list changes". 30 October 2012.
- "Jason Gram contract terminated". 30 October 2012.
- "Saints pick up delisted Docker". Melbourne: Fairfax Media. 30 November 2012. Retrieved 3 December 2012.
- Phelan, Jason (31 July 2012). "Final mini-draft explained".
- Caroline Wilson and Michael Gleeson (22 November 2012). "Adelaide's 'goodwill gesture' costs it draft picks 20 and 54". The Age.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- Walsh, Scott; Fjeldstad, Jesper (30 November 2012). "Adelaide Crows lose draft picks, fined $300,000 and Kurt Tippett receives 11-match suspension". The Advertiser. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Matt Thompson and Nick Bowen (21 November 2012). "Crows could face more pain despite shock draft surrender".CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)