The 2011 Tippeligaen was the 66th completed season of top division football in Norway. The competition began on 20 March 2011 and ended on 27 November 2011. Rosenborg were the defending champions, having secured their twenty-second League Championship on 24 October 2010. Sogndal, Sarpsborg 08 and Fredrikstad entered as the three promoted teams from the 2010 1. divisjon. They replaced Hønefoss, Kongsvinger and Sandefjord who were relegated to the 2011 1. divisjon.
|Goals scored||708 (2.95 per match)|
|Top goalscorer||Mostafa Abdellaoue|
|Biggest home win||Rosenborg 7–0 Odd Grenland|
(29 August 2011)
|Biggest away win||Stabæk 0–7 Lillestrøm|
(20 March 2011)
|Highest scoring||Rosenborg 3–6 Brann|
(30 October 2011)
|Longest winning run||5 games|
|Longest unbeaten run||10 games|
|Longest winless run||21 games|
|Longest losing run||7 games|
Rosenborg 0–1 Haugesund
(16 May 2011)
Sogndal 3–1 Haugesund
(16 June 2011)
|Average attendance||7,990 |
Molde won their first ever Eliteserien title with two games to spare. Molde's 58 points was a record low for an Eliteserien champion in the current 16-team system.
At the end of the season, Sarpsborg 08 and Start were relegated to the 2012 1. divisjon, due to having finished in the bottom two positions in the standings. There was no two-legged promotion play-offs this season.
On 30 October 2011, Molde became champions with two games to spare after their only remaining challenger, Rosenborg, lost 3–6 to Brann in the 28th round of the series. The trophy was their first ever league championship.
Sixteen teams competed in the league – the top thirteen teams from the previous season, and the three teams promoted from 1. divisjon. The promoted teams were Sogndal, Sarpsborg 08 and Fredrikstad. This was Sarpsborg 08's first top-flight season, while Sogndal and Fredrikstad returned to the top flight after an absence of six years and one season respectively. They replaced Hønefoss (returning after their debut season in the first tier), Kongsvinger (relegated after a season's presence) and Sandefjord (relegated after two years in the top flight).
Stadiums and locations
- Note: Table lists in alphabetical order.
|Team||Outgoing manager||Manner of departure||Date of vacancy||Table||Incoming manager||Date of appointment||Table|
|Rosenborg||End of contract||31 December 2010||Pre-Season||1 January 2011||Pre-Season|
|Stabæk||Signed by Rosenborg||31 December 2010||Pre-Season||1 January 2011||Pre-Season|
|Molde||End of contract||31 December 2010||Pre-Season||1 January 2011||Pre-Season|
|Start||Resigned||22 June 2011||15th||12 July 2011||14th|
|Lillestrøm||Sacked||27 October 2011||12th||27 October 2011||12th|
|Pos||Team||Pld||W||D||L||GF||GA||GD||Pts||Qualification or relegation|
|1||Molde (C)||30||17||7||6||54||38||+16||58||Qualification for the Champions League second qualifying round|
|2||Tromsø||30||15||8||7||56||34||+22||53||Qualification for the Europa League second qualifying round|
|3||Rosenborg||30||14||7||9||69||44||+25||49||Qualification for the Europa League first qualifying round|
|9||Aalesund||30||12||7||11||36||38||−2||43||Qualification for the Europa League second qualifying round|
|10||Stabæk||30||11||6||13||44||50||−6||39||Qualification for the Europa League first qualifying round|
|15||Start (R)||30||7||5||18||39||61||−22||26||Relegation to 1. divisjon|
|16||Sarpsborg 08 (R)||30||5||6||19||31||65||−34||21|
Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) goal difference; 3) number of goals scored.
(C) Champion; (R) Relegated.
Positions by round
|Home \ Away||AAL||SKB||FFK||HAU||LSK||MFK||ODD||RBK||S08||SIL||STB||IKS||SIF||TIL||VIF||VIK|
- Most yellow cards: 10
Fegor Ogude (Vålerenga)
- Most red cards: 1
- 21 players
1: Team played last season in 1. divisjon.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2011 Tippeligaen.|
- "Tippeligaen - 2011". WhoScored.com. WhoScored.com. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Tilskuertall Tippeligaen 2011". nifs.no (in Norwegian). A-pressen. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- Burheim, Mads Gudim (24 October 2010). "- I kveld skal vi feire" (in Norwegian). Dagbladet. Archived from the original on 25 October 2010. Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- "Statistikk for den norske Eliteserien" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "- Det er mulig å score enda raskere enn Mjelde" [- It is possible to score even faster than Mjelde]. vg.no (in Norwegian). Verdens Gang. 17 April 2011. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "Jönsson klar for RBK". nrksport. NRK. 26 July 2010.
- "Jørgen Lennartsson overtar Stabæk". vg.no. Verdens Gang. 2 August 2010.
- "- Han har vært fantastisk for klubben". dagbladet.no. Dagbladet. 9 November 2010.
- "Norway wins UEFA Respect Fair Play ranking". UEFA. 7 May 2012.
- "Tromsø best på Fair play" (in Norwegian). fotball.no. 2 December 2011. Archived from the original on 10 May 2012. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "Tippeligaen 2011 Yellow Cards". altomfotball.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- "Tippeligaen 2011 Red Cards". altomfotball.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- "Tippeligaen 2011 Råeste lag". altomfotball.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 20 May 2019.