2011 AFL draft
|2011 AFL draft|
|Date(s)||24 November 2011|
13 December 2011
|Location||Sydney, New South Wales|
|Sponsored by||National Australia Bank|
|First selection||Jonathon Patton (Greater Western Sydney)|
- 2011 trade week; which was held between 10 October and 17 October
- A mini-draft of 17-year-old players, as part of the recruitment concessions given to the newly established Greater Western Sydney Giants, which was held on 13 October
- The 2011 national draft; which was held on 24 November in Sydney.
- The 2012 pre-season draft, held on 13 December 2011 and
- The 2012 rookie draft, also on 13 December 2011.
It was the first national draft to feature the Greater Western Sydney Giants, who joined the league in 2012. It was the final draft period before the introduction of free agency in the 2012/13 offseason.
Greater Western Sydney concessions
The Greater Western Sydney Giants were to join the AFL in 2012, and were provided with several draft concessions, including additional draft selections, early access to recruit 17-year-old players, and access to uncontracted and previously listed players in this offseason. These concessions were similar to those provided to the Gold Coast Football Club, which entered the league in the previous season.
Greater Western Sydney was permitted to recruit the following players directly, without the need for any draft:
- At the end of 2010, up to twelve 17-year-old players (born between 1 January – 30 April 1993), who were too young to enter the 2010 AFL draft. These players were not eligible to play senior AFL football in 2011, and would continue to undergo junior development, either in Sydney or their home state.
- Up to ten players who were not on an AFL list but had previously nominated for a national draft. These players could be recruited at the end of either 2011 or 2012, with no more than ten players recruited in this manner over the two years. Greater Western Sydney could immediately trade any players recruited in this manner.
- Up to sixteen players who were on an AFL list, but were out of contract at the end of the season. Again, these players could be recruited at the end of either 2011 or 2012, with no more than sixteen players recruited in this manner over the two years, and no more than one player recruited from any other club. Clubs who lost players in this manner received compensatory selections in the national draft; the number and value of these selections was determined based on age, contract size, on-field performance and draft order, and were permitted to be used in any year between 2011–2015.
- Up to sixteen players recruited from the New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory zone, recruited at any time between 2010–2013, and from the Northern Territory zone, recruited between 2011–2013.
Then, in the drafts, Greater Western Sydney had the following selections:
- In the 2011 national draft, the first selection in each round, and picks No. 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15 in the first round.
- In the 2011 rookie draft, the first eight selections.
- In the 2012 rookie draft, the first selection in each round.
Additionally, at the end of 2011, Greater Western Sydney had the ability to trade the only four selections in a once-off "mini-draft", which could be used to recruit 17-year-old players (born between 1 January – 30 April 1994). Greater Western Sydney could only use these draft picks as trade currency; the club was not permitted to use the picks for its own list development. Players recruited and traded in this manner were not eligible to play senior AFL football in 2012, and would continue to undergo junior development. This specific concession was unique to Greater Western Sydney; Gold Coast did not have the same concession the previous year.
Greater Western Sydney began with an expanded list size of up to fifty senior players and nine rookies, to be gradually reduced to a standard list size of thirty-eight senior players and nine rookies by 2019.
During the 2011 AFL season there was speculation about several players who would be uncontracted at the end of the season, including Tom Scully, Rhys Palmer, Callan Ward and Taylor Walker. In August 2011, Phil Davis from Adelaide was the first player to announce a move to Greater Western Sydney as an uncontracted player signing. After the season had ended, Palmer, Scully and Ward also announced moves to the Giants. As compensation, Scully was rated as a top-level player, resulting in Melbourne receiving both a first-round and a mid-first round draft pick as compensation. Davis and Ward were rated as second-level, earning Adelaide and Western Bulldogs a first round compensation selection, and Palmer was rated a third-level player, giving Fremantle an end of first round selection.
In the lead up to trade week, the requests of players to move back to their home states dominated most trade rumours. Mitch Clark, Leon Davis, Brad Ebert and Jack Gunston all requested to be traded back to teams in their states of origin.
Early in trade week, many trades involved unlisted players being recruited directly by Greater Western Sydney under the club's concessions, then immediately traded. Where this has occurred, the club from which GWS recruited the player is shown in parentheses after his name.
|Trade||Player||Traded from||Traded to||Traded for|
|1||Steven Morris (West Adelaide)
draft pick No. 15
|Greater Western Sydney||Richmond||draft pick No. 14|
|2||Martin Clarke (Down GAA)
Jamie Elliott (Murray Bushrangers)
draft pick No. 67
|Greater Western Sydney||Collingwood||draft pick No. 25|
draft pick No. 53 and 71
|Adelaide||Hawthorn||draft picks No. 24, 46 and 64|
|4||draft pick No. 4
compensation draft pick (first round)
|Gold Coast||Greater Western Sydney||Mini-draft pick No. 1|
draft pick No. 31
|5||Terry Milera (Port Adelaide Magpies)
Ahmed Saad (Northern Bullants)
draft pick No. 25
|Greater Western Sydney||St Kilda||draft pick No. 20|
|6||draft pick No. 20||Greater Western Sydney||Fremantle||compensation draft pick (end of first round)|
|7||Luke Brown (Norwood)
Mini-draft pick No. 2
|Greater Western Sydney||Adelaide||draft pick No. 10|
compensation draft pick (first round)
|8||Will Sierakowski||Hawthorn||North Melbourne||draft pick No. 58|
|9||Ivan Maric||Adelaide||Richmond||draft pick No. 37|
|10||Tom Lynch||St Kilda||Adelaide||draft pick No. 37|
|11||Brent Renouf||Hawthorn||Port Adelaide||draft pick No. 33|
|12||Mitch Clark||Brisbane Lions||Melbourne||draft pick No. 12|
|13||Jordan Lisle||Hawthorn||Brisbane Lions||priority draft pick (No. 29)|
|14||draft picks No. 38 and 56||Fremantle||Hawthorn||priority draft pick (No. 29)|
draft picks No. 58 and 71
|15||Jarrad Boumann (Box Hill Hawks)||Greater Western Sydney||Hawthorn||draft pick No. 56|
draft pick No. 69
|Port Adelaide||Greater Western Sydney||draft pick No. 49|
draft pick No. 45
|West Coast||Port Adelaide||priority draft pick (No. 28)|
draft pick No. 49
|18||Peter Yagmoor (QLD zone selection)
draft pick No. 50
|Gold Coast||Collingwood||draft pick No. 47|
|19||Mitch Morton||Richmond||Sydney||draft pick No. 79|
|20||Luke Power||Brisbane Lions||Greater Western Sydney||draft pick No. 69|
|21||Josh Hill||Western Bulldogs||West Coast||draft pick No. 49|
|22||Dayne Zorko (QLD zone selection)
draft pick No. 47
|Gold Coast||Brisbane Lions||draft pick No. 34 (3-way trade)|
|23||draft pick No. 34||Brisbane Lions||Gold Coast||(3-way trade)|
|24||Matthew Warnock||Melbourne||Gold Coast||(3-way trade)|
|25||Ben Hudson||Western Bulldogs||Brisbane Lions||draft pick No. 70|
|26||draft pick No. 26||Geelong||Gold Coast||draft picks No. 32 and 34|
|27||draft pick No. 24||Adelaide||Gold Coast||draft picks No. 27, 31 and 68|
draft pick No. 35 and 68
|29||Tommy Walsh||St Kilda||Sydney||draft picks No. 35 and 68|
draft pick No. 41
|Essendon||Adelaide||draft pick No. 31|
|31||compensation draft pick (end of first round)||Richmond||Gold Coast||draft pick No. 26|
compensation draft pick (second round)
Note: the numbering of the draft picks in this trades table is based on the original order prior to draft day. The final numbering of many of these draft picks was adjusted on draft day due to either the insertion of compensation draft picks in the early rounds, or clubs passing in the later rounds.
Retirements and delistings
|Albert Proud||Brisbane Lions||10 February 2011||Sacked, continuous breaches of contract.|
|Brendan Fevola||Brisbane Lions||20 February 2011||Sacked, continuous breaches of contract.|
|Craig Bolton||Sydney||24 March 2011||Retirement, due to ankle injury.|
|Tom Hunter||Collingwood||31 March 2011||Retirement, due to neck injury.|
|Daniel Bradshaw||Sydney||17 June 2011||Retirement, due to knee injury.|
|Scott Stevens||Adelaide||21 June 2011||Retirement, because of multiple head knocks.|
|Dean Brogan||Port Adelaide||28 June 2011||Retirement, at end of season.|
|Barry Hall||Western Bulldogs||19 July 2011||Retirement, at end of season.|
|Marcus Drum||Geelong||21 July 2011||Retirement, due to ongoing injury problems.|
|Mark Williams||Essendon||25 July 2011||Retirement, due to degenerative knee condition.|
|Chad Cornes||Port Adelaide||3 August 2011||Retirement, at end of season.|
|Jamie Charman||Brisbane Lions||3 August 2011||Retirement, effective immediately.|
|Darcy Daniher||Essendon||13 August 2011||Retirement, due to ongoing groin injuries.|
|Daniel Harris||Gold Coast||17 August 2011||Retirement, due to ongoing injury.|
|Cameron Mooney||Geelong||23 August 2011||Retirement, at end of season.|
|Brady Rawlings||North Melbourne||24 August 2011||Retirement, at end of season.|
|Mitch Hahn||Western Bulldogs||24 August 2011||Retirement, at end of season.|
|Ben Hudson||Western Bulldogs||24 August 2011||Retirement, at end of season.|
|Luke Power||Brisbane Lions||27 August 2011||Retirement, effective immediately.|
|Byron Schammer||Fremantle||29 August 2011||Retirement, at end of season.|
|Brad Moran||Adelaide||31 August 2011||Retirement, effective immediately.|
|Roger Hayden||Fremantle||31 August 2011||Retirement, due to ongoing injury.|
|Tadhg Kennelly||Sydney||1 September 2011||Retirement, at end of season.|
|Leigh Brown||Collingwood||1 September 2011||Retirement, at end of season.|
|Nathan Ablett||Gold Coast||5 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Michael Coad||Gold Coast||5 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Marc Lock||Gold Coast||5 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Jack Stanlake||Gold Coast||5 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Roland Ah Chee||Gold Coast||5 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Jake Crawford||Gold Coast||5 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Jack Stanley||Gold Coast||5 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Joel Tippett||Gold Coast||5 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Clayton Hinkley||Fremantle||7 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Joel Houghton||Fremantle||7 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Tim Ruffles||Fremantle||7 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Ben Bucovaz||Fremantle||7 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Hamish Shepheard||Fremantle||7 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Ryan Houlihan||Carlton||8 September 2011||Retirement, effective immediately for AFL games, and at end of season for VFL-affiliate games.|
|Ed Lower||North Melbourne||8 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Ben Ross||North Melbourne||8 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Brayden Norris||North Melbourne||8 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Marcus White||North Melbourne||8 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Matthew Scott||North Melbourne||8 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Michael Gardiner||St Kilda||10 September 2011||Retired.|
|Steven Baker||St Kilda||10 September 2011||Retired.|
|Robert Eddy||St Kilda||10 September 2011||Retired.|
|Andrew McQualter||St Kilda||10 September 2011||Retired.|
|Matt Austin||Brisbane Lions||11 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Xavier Clarke||Brisbane Lions||11 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Broc McCauley||Brisbane Lions||11 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Bart McCulloch||Brisbane Lions||11 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Tom Hislop||Richmond||12 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Robert Hicks||Richmond||12 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Nick Westhoff||Richmond||12 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Tyson Slattery||Essendon||19 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Taite Silverlock||Essendon||19 September 2011||Delisted.|
|James Webster||Essendon||19 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Marlon Motlop||Port Adelaide||22 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Matthew Westhoff||Port Adelaide||22 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Callum Hay||Port Adelaide||22 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Danny Meyer||Port Adelaide||22 September 2011||Retired.|
|Brett Jones||West Coast||27 September 2011||Retired.|
|Daniel Bass||Port Adelaide||29 September 2011||Delisted.|
|Tim Houlihan||West Coast||4 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls||West Coast||4 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Cameron Ling||Geelong||5 October 2011||Retired.|
|Andrew Welsh||Essendon||7 October 2011||Retirement, due to ongoing injury.|
|Chris Schmidt||Adelaide||7 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Jake von Bertouch||Adelaide||7 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Lachlan Roach||Adelaide||7 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Jay Neagle||Essendon||8 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Wayde Twomey||Carlton||10 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Joseph Dare||Carlton||10 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Jaryd Cachia||Carlton||10 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Darren Milburn||Geelong||11 October 2011||Retired.|
|Daniel Pratt||North Melbourne||17 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Gavin Urquhart||North Melbourne||17 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Mark Austin||Carlton||18 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Setanta Ó hAilpín||Carlton||18 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Troy Taylor||Richmond||18 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Pat Contin||Richmond||18 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Jamie O'Reilly||Richmond||18 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Mitch Farmer||Richmond||18 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Ben Nason||Richmond||18 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Ben Jaokbi||Richmond||18 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Michael Pettigrew||Port Adelaide||18 October 2011||Retired will nominate in the pre-season draft.|
|Jason Davenport||Port Adelaide||18 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Daniel Motlop||Port Adelaide||18 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Paul Bevan||Sydney||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Max Otten||Sydney||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Chrissy McKaigue||Sydney||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Daniel Currie||Sydney||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Byron Sumner||Sydney||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Campbell Heath||Sydney||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Addam Maric||Melbourne||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Robert Campbell||Melbourne||19 October 2011||Retired.|
|Cameron Johnston||Melbourne||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Tom McNamara||Melbourne||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Jordan Jones||West Coast||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Callum Wilson||West Coast||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|James Sellar||Adelaide||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Myke Cook||Adelaide||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Will Young||Adelaide||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|James Craig||Adelaide||19 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Mark Blake||Geelong||19 October 2011||Retired.|
|Michael Quinn||Essendon||20 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Rick Ladson||Hawthorn||20 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Jordan Williams||Hawthorn||20 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Jack Mahony||Hawthorn||20 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Riley Milne||Hawthorn||20 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Sam Menegola||Hawthorn||20 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Will Thursfield||Richmond||24 October 2011||Retired.|
|Joseph Daye||Gold Coast||24 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Lewis Broome||West Coast||24 October 2011||Retired.|
|Clancee Pearce||Fremantle||26 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Casey Sibosado||Fremantle||26 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Justin Bollenhagen||Fremantle||26 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Tom Collier||Brisbane Lions||28 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Will Johnson||St Kilda||28 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Ryan Gamble||St Kilda||28 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Paul Cahill||St Kilda||28 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Nicholas Heyne||St Kilda||28 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Alistair Smith||St Kilda||28 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Brad Ottens||Geelong||31 October 2011||Retired.|
|Leon Davis||Collingwood||31 October 2011||Retired.|
|Austin Wonaeamirri||Melbourne||31 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Brad Dick||Collingwood||31 October 2011||Delisted.|
|John McCarthy||Collingwood||31 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Daniel Farmer||Collingwood||31 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Trent Stubbs||Collingwood||31 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Brennan Stack||Western Bulldogs||31 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Tom Gordon||Collingwood||31 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Declan Reilly||Collingwood||31 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Jack Perham||Collingwood||31 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Jye Bolton||Collingwood||31 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Michael Newton||Melbourne||31 October 2011||Delisted.|
|Ben Johnson||Geelong||4 November 2011||Delisted.|
|Jack Weston||Geelong||4 November 2011||Delisted.|
|Anthony Long||Essendon||16 November 2011||Delisted.|
|Jayden Schofield||Western Bulldogs||30 November 2011||Delisted.|
|David Gourdis||Richmond||30 November 2011||Delisted.|
|Rex Liddy||Gold Coast||30 November 2011||Delisted.|
As part of their entry concessions, Greater Western Sydney was allocated up to four selections in a mini-draft, which could be used to recruit seventeen-year-old players who otherwise would not be eligible for the 2011 National Draft, but who could not play senior AFL football until the 2013 season. Greater Western Sydney were not permitted to use these draft picks directly, but had to trade them to other clubs. In 2011, Gold Coast and Adelaide secured trades with GWS for selections in this draft, leaving two selections remaining for the 2012 AFL Draft.
|1||Jaeger O'Meara||Perth||WAFL||Gold Coast|
|2||Brad Crouch||North Ballarat Rebels||TAC Cup||Adelaide|
2011 national draft
Prior to the draft, three players were selected under the Father-Son Rule. Dylan Buckley, son of Jim was selected by Carlton, Andrew Bews' son Jed was selected by Geelong and Tom Mitchell, son of Barry was selected by Sydney. Buckley and Bews were secured with no rival clubs submitting bids, allowing Carlton and Geelong to each use its final draft selection for the father-son pick. Fremantle submitted a first round bid for Mitchell, which Sydney was able to match, so, Mitchell was drafted with the 21st selection in the draft.
- Maister was known as Beau Wilkes when drafted
2012 pre-season draft
The 2012 AFL pre-season draft was held on 13 December 2011. Zac Dawson, Leon Davis and John McCarthy were considered to be the delisted AFL players most likely to be selected. The changes to the list rules to allow mature age players to be rookie listed has also resulted in less preseason draft selections.
|Round||Pick||Player||Recruited from||League||Drafted to|
|1||1||Pass||Greater Western Sydney|
|1||2||Pass||Greater Western Sydney|
|1||3||Pass||Greater Western Sydney|
|1||4||Pass||Greater Western Sydney|
|1||5||Pass||Greater Western Sydney|
|1||6||Pass||Greater Western Sydney|
|1||7||Aaron Hall||Hobart||TSL||Gold Coast|
|1||8||John McCarthy||Collingwood||AFL||Port Adelaide|
|1||9||Brett O'Hanlon||Dandenong Stingrays||TAC Cup||Richmond|
|1||10||Zac Dawson||St Kilda||AFL||Fremantle|
|1||11||Fletcher Roberts||Sandringham Dragons||TAC Cup||Western Bulldogs|
2012 rookie draft
Selections by league
Draft selection totals by leagues:
|League||National draft||Pre-season draft||Rookie draft||Total||State/territory|
|NEAFL||3||0||7||10||ACT, NSW, NT, QLD|
|AFL rookie elevations||13||–||–||13||Australia-wide|
|Other leagues||1||0||6||7||Victoria, NSW & SA|
(excluding Gaelic football)
- Stars seek Perth moves in AFL trade week
- AFL announces national draft will be held in western Sydney in a huge boost for GWS Giants
- "Free agency rules". Australian Football League. 16 March 2012. Archived from the original on 17 March 2012. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Giants' draft rules explained". Australian Football League. 2 August 2011. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Denham, Greg (1 July 2011). "Freo confident of keeping Palmer". The Australian. Archived from the original on 19 October 2011.
- Adelaide Crows lose defender Phil Davis to Greater Western Sydney Giants
- Buckle, Greg (14 September 2011). "Melbourne offered two first-round draft picks as compensation for Tom Scully switching to GWS".
- Victorian clubs in race for homesick tall Jack Gunston
- Giants' draft rules explained
- Paton, Al (10 October 2010). "Richmond lands SA star Steven Morris in deal with GWS". Herald Sun. News Corp. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- "Irish star Martin Clarke returns to Collingwood". Herald Sun. News Corp. 10 October 2010. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- "Gunston heads to Hawks". AFL.com.au. 12 October 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "Suns secure prize pick". AFL.com.au. 12 October 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "Saints land mature-age pair". AFL.com.au. 13 October 2010. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 June 2012. Retrieved 13 October 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Sierakowski becomes a Roo". AFL.com.au. 14 October 2010. Archived from the original on 16 October 2011. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "Maric moves in three-way deal". AFL.com.au. 14 October 2010. Archived from the original on 14 October 2011. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "Renouf heads to Port". AFL.com.au. 14 October 2010. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "Demons pull off trade coup". AFL.com.au. 15 October 2010. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- "Lisle becomes a Lion". AFL.com.au. 17 October 2010. Archived from the original on 18 October 2011. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Trades as they happen". AFL.com.au. 17 October 2010. Archived from the original on 18 October 2011. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Trade Tracker". 17 October 2010. Archived from the original on 18 October 2010. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Armstrong, Johnston swapped". AFL.com.au. 15 October 2010. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- Davis, Greg (10 February 2011). "Albert Proud out of the Brisbane Lions pride". Herald Sun.
- Noakes, Cameron (20 February 2011). "Lions sack Fevola". AFL BigPond Network. Archived from the original on 23 February 2011. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- Australian Associated Press (24 March 2011). "Swan Bolton forced into retirement". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- Paton, Al (1 April 2011). "Collingwood rookie Tom Hunter retires due to neck injury". Herald Sun. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- "Injury-cursed Lion Charman retires". The Sydney Morning Herald. 3 August 2011. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Injury forces Darcy Daniher out of game". Herald Sun. 13 August 2011. Retrieved 13 August 2011.
- "Gold Coast midfielder Daniel Harris retires from AFL football". Herald Sun. 17 August 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Geelong forward Cameron Mooney aims for fairytale finish". Herald Sun. 23 August 2011. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Brady Rawlings symbol of Shinboners". Herald Sun. 24 August 2011. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- Dogs call it quits
- "Veteran Western Bulldog Ben Hudson calls it quits". Herald Sun. 24 August 2011. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Brisbane Lion star Luke Power retires". Herald Sun. 27 August 2011. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Byron Schammer to retire". Archived from the original on 4 September 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Adelaide ruckman Brad Moran quits to pursue online business". Herald Sun. 31 August 2011. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Roger Hayden retires". Archived from the original on 30 December 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Sydney Swan Tadhg Kennelly retires from AFL". Herald Sun. 1 September 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- "AFL journey ends for Collingwood's Leigh Brown". Herald Sun. 1 September 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- "Suns cut Nathan Ablett". Herald Sun. 5 September 2011. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
- "Fremantle delists five players". Archived from the original on 30 December 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Carlton's Ryan Houlihan hangs up boots". Herald Sun. 8 September 2011. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Kangaroos delist give players including Ed Lower". Herald Sun. 8 September 2011. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Gardiner, Baker among Saints retirements". SportsNewsFirst.com. 10 September 2011. Archived from the original on 27 March 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Lions announce list changes
- "Richmond announces departures". Archived from the original on 23 September 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Essendon delist three rookies Archived 25 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Power List Changes
- Jones makes games count
- "Power lower boom on Bass". Adelaide Now. 29 September 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "Ebert leaves nest". Archived from the original on 6 October 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Geelong skipper Cameron Ling goes out on Grand Final high". Herald Sun. 5 October 2011. Retrieved 5 October 2011.
- Welsh announces retirement Archived 9 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "Three rookies cut by Crows". Archived from the original on 9 October 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Essendon delist Jay Neagle Archived 11 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "Changes to the Carlton list". Archived from the original on 19 November 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Milburn retires
- North Melbourne list changes
- Changes to Carlton's list Archived 4 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Richmond list changes". Archived from the original on 20 October 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Power List Changes
- "Swans pay tribute to Bevan as list changes finalised". Archived from the original on 20 October 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Dees make list changes". Archived from the original on 3 April 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "West Coast parts ways with Jones, Wilson". Archived from the original on 22 October 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Crows delist four players". Archived from the original on 20 October 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Blake to pass on draft
- Essendon delist Irish recruit Archived 24 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "Hawthorn announces list changes". Archived from the original on 5 April 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Thursfield retires". Archived from the original on 26 October 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- GC SUNS delist Daye Archived 1 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Broome heads home
- "Fremantle delists three players". Archived from the original on 4 April 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Lions announce key re-signings
- St Kilda confirms list changes
- Ottens bows out in style
- "Davis retires from Collingwood". Archived from the original on 3 November 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Wonaeamirri delisted by Demons". Archived from the original on 3 April 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Collingwood list changes". Archived from the original on 5 December 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- List lodgements announced
- "Demons submit first list lodgement". Archived from the original on 24 March 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Rookies move on Archived 3 November 2011 at WebCite
- Essendon delist Anthony Long Archived 16 November 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Schofield returns home
- Schofield cut by bulldogs
- "Gold Coast to host AFL draft". The Age. 26 August 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- Windley, Matt (11 October 2011). "Sydney, Geelong and Carlton snare father-son picks". Herald Sun. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- AFL Offseason
- Bin there, done that
- "U18s NSW/ACT Squad 2011". Australian Football Club. 2011. Retrieved 14 December 2011.