2010 Islamic Solidarity Games
The 2nd Islamic Solidarity Games were going to be an international sporting event scheduled to be held in Iran on 9–25 April 2010. The Games were cancelled following a dispute between the host country and Saudi Arabia.
|Host city||Tehran, Esfahan, Mashhad|
|Events||193 in 14 sports|
|Opening ceremony||9 April|
|Closing ceremony||25 April|
|Main venue||Takhti Stadium|
Suspension and cancellation of Games
It was reported 3 May 2009, that Iran had suspended the games due to a dispute over the use of the term "Persian Gulf". Saudi Arabia and other Arabic countries disapproved of the use of the term "Persian Gulf" on literature and medals and insisted the term "Arabian Gulf" or just "Gulf" be used instead. Iran claimed it was still in talks to try to salvage the games.
- Takhti Stadium – Opening ceremony, Closing ceremony, Football
- Azadi Sport Complex – Swimming, Diving, Basketball, Shooting, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Football
- Aftab Enghelab Complex – Athletics
- Shiroudi Sport Complex – Water polo, Table tennis (Men)
- Tehran Taekwondo Home – Table tennis (Women)
- Tehran Handball Hall – Sitting volleyball
- Hejab Hall – Futsal (Disabled)
- Tehran Janbazan Complex – Table tennis (Disabled)
- Disabled sports
- Sitting volleyball
- Table tennis
- Iran Suspends Islamic Games over Row. The Guardian (3 May 2009).
- Ap, Riyadh (2010-01-17). "Islamic Solidarity Games cancelled after gulf row divides nations". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2010-01-17.