2010 Clarkson Cup
The 2010 Clarkson Cup was contested at the Elgin Barrow Arena in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada. The four competing teams included the Brampton Thunder, Minnesota Whitecaps, Mississauga Chiefs, and Montreal Stars.
The Brampton Thunder defeated the Burlington Barracudas in the Canadian Women's Hockey League wild card game to qualify for the Clarkson Cup tournament. The Thunder proceeded to eliminate the defending champion Montreal Stars in the semifinals.
Brampton Thunder roster
|9||Jennifer Kirk||Forward||Sheridan College|
|12||Lori Dupuis||Forward||University of Toronto|
|14||Amanda Nonis||Forward||Manhattanville College|
|83||Amber Welch||Forward||Keswick High School|
|2||Belinda Odell||Defense||Priceville High School|
|11||Bobbi Jo Slusar||Defense||York|
Minnesota Whitecaps roster
|2||Sam Nixon||Forward||St. Cloud State Huskies women's ice hockey|
|10||Brooke White||Forward||Northeastern Huskies women's ice hockey|
|15||Andrea Nichols||Forward||Minnesota Golden Gophers women's ice hockey|
|16||Jenny Potter||Forward||Minnesota–Duluth Bulldogs women's ice hockey|
|17||Julie Chu||Forward||Harvard Crimson women's ice hockey|
|19||Erin Keys||Forward||Ohio State Buckeyes women's ice hockey|
|22||Megan McCarthy||Forward||St. Cloud State Huskies|
|3||Chelsey Brodt||Defense||Minnesota Golden Gophers|
|5||Winny Brodt||Defense||Minnesota Golden Gophers|
|21||Allie Sanchez||Defense||Minnesota Golden Gophers|
|39||Megan Van Beusekom||Goaltender||Princeton Tigers women's ice hockey|
|March 27, 2009||12:00 pm||Brampton Thunder vs. Montreal Stars||Brampton, 3-2|
|03/27/2009||16:00||Minnesota Whitecaps vs. Mississauga Chiefs||Minnesota, 3-0|
|March 28, 2009||15:00||Brampton Thunder vs. Minnesota Whitecaps||Minnesota, 4-0|
The Minnesota Whitecaps were the only team from the Western Women's Hockey League to compete in the tournament. It was the second consecutive year that the Whitecaps had made the final. The team came to the tournament with only 11 players and two goalies. Goalie Megan Van Beusekom-Sweerin had a shutout in a 4-0 win for the Whitecaps.
Chelsey Brodt-Rosenthal snapped a wrist shot past Thunder netminder Laura Hosier. During the first period, the Whitecaps hit the post twice. In the second period, Jenny Potter scored on a breakaway. The assist was credited to Erin Keys. In the second period, the Thunder were not able to get on the scoreboard. Molly Engstrom fired a slap shot past Van Beusekom-Sweerin, but the shot hit the post. In the third period, Maggie Fisher scored on a pass from Megan McCarthy. Andrea Fisher intercepted a pass from the Thunder. She passed to Brooke White-Lancette and scored the fourth goal on Hosier.
Awards and honours
- Megan Van Beusekom-Sweerin: Top goaltender in the tournament
- Brooke White, Player of the Game, Minnesota, Clarkson Cup Final
- Bobbi Jo Slusar, Player of the Game, Brampton, Clarkson Cup Final
- Julie Chu, Minnesota, Tournament MVP.
- Lori Dupuis, Brampton, Top forward in the tournament
- Molly Engstrom, Brampton, Top defender in the tournament
Olympians in the Clarkson Cup
- The following players also played for their respective countries in ice hockey at the 2010 Winter Olympics.
|Gillian Apps||Brampton Thunder|
|Julie Chu||Minnesota Whitecaps|
|Molly Engstrom||Brampton Thunder|
|Jayna Hefford||Brampton Thunder|
|Caroline Ouellette||Montreal Stars|
|Jenny Potter||Minnesota Whitecaps|
|Marie-Philip Poulin||Montreal Stars|
- Source: Starkman, Randy (March 29, 2010). "Whitecaps swamp Thunder to win Clarkson Cup". Toronto Star. Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- "Minnesota wins Clarkson Cup". International Ice Hockey Federation. Archived from the original on October 18, 2012.
- Minnesota Whitecaps: Clarkson Cup Champions Bruce Peter, 17 June 2010.