2008 Diyarbakır bombing
|2008 Diyarbakır bombing|
Diyarbakır Province highlighted within Turkey
|Date||3 January 2008 |
16:50 – (UTC+2)
First reports from the area indicated that the bomb, which exploded in the Dagkapi district of Diyarbakır on Thursday evening, targeted a military service vehicle that had been carrying 46 army personnel as it passed near a school. The district is known to have a very heavy Turkish military presence because of the military helicopter base, hospitals and the military housings around the area. The blast be heard 3 km (two miles) away.
The attack occurred during rush hour.
The local police force said five people were killed in the attack, three of whom were children. About 110 other people were wounded, eight people seriously.
Nobody has claimed responsibility for the blast, but authorities have blamed militants of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), whom Turkish security forces are fighting both in Turkey and in nearby Northern Iraq. The state Anatolian news agency quoted prosecutors as saying that four people had been detained in connection with the blast. Earlier, security sources said 12 people had been detained.
- Channel 4 news. "20 injured in Turkey Bombing".
- BBC News (2008-01-03). "Four dead in Turkish car blast". Retrieved 2010-01-01.
- Reuters News Agency (2008-01-04). "Turkish army vows bomb attack strengthens resolve".
- World Bulletin. "USA condemns Diyarbakir bomb attack".