1st Minnesota Volunteer Cavalry Regiment
|1st Regiment, Minnesota Volunteer Cavalry|
Flag of Minnesota
|Active||October 1862 to December 1863|
|Engagements||Battle of Big Mound|
Battle of Dead Buffalo Lake
The regiment was mustered in at St. Cloud, St. Peter, and Fort Snelling for one year's service between October and December 1862, and the men were mustered out between October and December 1863. The 1st Minnesota Cavalry served entirely in Minnesota and the Dakota Territory, guarding the frontier against the hostile Sioux Indians.
Battles and campaigns
- Sibley's Expedition against Indians in Dakota Territory, June 16 to September 14, 1863.
- Battle of Big Mound, D. T., July 24, 1863.
- Battle of Dead Buffalo Lake July 26, 1863.
- Stony Lake July 28, 1863.
- Operations along the Missouri River July 28 to 30, 1863.
- Samuel McPhaill
Casualties and total strength
List of Minnesota Civil War Units
- Annual Report of the Adjutant General, of the State of Minnesota, for the Year Ending December 1, 1866, and of the Military Forces of the State from 1861 to 1866. Saint Paul [Minn.]: Pioneer Printing Company, 1866. The "First Regiment Mounted Rangers, Minnesota Volunteers" begins on page 633.