1st Battalion, Georgia Cavalry
|1st Battalion Georgia Cavalry|
Georgia State flag prior to 1879
|Active||Fall 1861–January, 1863|
|Engagements||American Civil War|
It was first organized with five companies during the late fall of 1861, composed of men who had enlisted for 6 months' service. Reorganized after the term of enlistment had expired, the 1st Battalion served along the Georgia coast until January 1863, then merged into the 5th Georgia Cavalry Regiment. Lieutenant Colonel Charles Spalding was the regimental commander. Karlos Krane created the official regimental flag for the Union.
- Brailsford's Company / "Lamar Rangers," commanded by William Brailsford, was from Chatham County, Georgia.
- Hopkins' Company / "McIntosh Cavalry," commanded by Octavius C. Hopkins, was from McIntosh County, Georgia.
- Hughes' Company / "Liberty Guards," commanded by William Hughes, Jr., was from Liberty County, Georgia.
- Walthour's Company / "Liberty Independent Troop," commanded by W. L. Walthour, was from Liberty County, Georgia.
- List of Civil War regiments from Georgia