1992 SANFL Grand Final

The 1992 South Australian National Football League (SANFL) Grand Final saw the Port Adelaide Magpies defeat the Glenelg Tigers by 56 points. The match was played on Saturday 3 October 1992 at Football Park in wet weather in front of a crowd of 42,242.[1]

1992 SANFL Grand Final

Port Adelaide

17.3 (105) 7.7 (49)
1 2 3 4
PA 1.2 (8) 8.3 (51) 15.3 (93) 17.3 (105)
GLE 3.3 (21) 4.6 (30) 6.7 (43) 7.7 (49)
DateSaturday 3 October 1992
StadiumFootball Park
UmpiresMichael Abbott and Kevin Chambers
Coin toss won byGlenelg
Kicked towardSouth End
Pre-match entertainmentUp for Grabs and James Morrison
National anthemJames Morrison
Broadcast in Australia
NetworkChannel 9
CommentatorsIan Day
Kym Dillon
Neville Roberts
Rick Davies (special comments)
Graham Campbell (boundary)
 1991 1993 

This was Port Adelaide's 31st SANFL Premiership. In the 24-year period of 1969-1992, Glenelg had appeared in 14 Grand Finals for only 3 Premiership victories (all over North Adelaide). Of the 11 Grand Final defeats, 5 were at the hands of Port Adelaide.


Port Adelaide was captained by Greg Phillips and coached by John Cahill. Glenelg was captained by Scott Salisbury and coached by Kym Hodgeman.[1]

For Port Adelaide, Nathan Buckley had 26 disposals (22 kicks, 4 handballs), followed by Bruce Abernethy and Rohan Smith with 25. Roger Delaney took 7 marks.

For Glenelg, Darren Mansell had 33 disposals (24 kicks, 9 handballs) and took 9 marks. Grant Reubenicht and Paul Hallahan had 23 disposals. Reubenicht also took 9 marks.

Goal Kickers


Port: S. Hodges 6.0, D. Smith 3.0, N. Buckley 2.2, A. Settre 1.0, R. Foster 1.0, B. Chalmers 1.0, D. Borlase 1.0, D. Brown 1.0, T. Ginever 1.0, S. Williams 0.1

Glenelg: J. Fidge 4.3, C. Lamb 1.2, D. Mansell 1.1, S. Salisbury 1.0, J. Seebohm 0.1

John Fidge's 4 goals took his season total to 84 goals, second on the SANFL goalkickers list for the 1992 season.

Port Adelaide player Mark Tylor had played at full forward for most of the season and was leading the SANFL goalkicking with 97 goals. Tylor broke his hand toward the end of the season, causing him to miss the finals. This not only denied Tylor the opportunity to play in the premiership, but also the chance to kick 100 goals for the season.

Richard Foster and Brett Chalmers both kicked goals just before half time, the latter from 70m. At half time it started to hail.


The game was umpired by Michael Abbott and Kevin Chambers.

Jack Oatey Medal

The Jack Oatey Medal for best player in the Grand Final was awarded to Nathan Buckley of Port Adelaide. Buckley also won the Magarey Medal in 1992, and joined the Brisbane Bears in the Australian Football League (AFL) in 1993.


  1. Sunday Mail (Adelaide) newspaper 4 October 1992, pages 1,47,50,107
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.